You're Gonna Miss Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You're Gonna Miss Me Reviews

August 16, 2015
A fascinating and emotional documentary about the former 13th Floor Elevators front mans struggles with mental illness. There are definitely some skeletons in the Erikson family closet. A must see.
July 26, 2013
Very interesting film, and plenty depressing. But while I respect the filmmakers' decision to put across the complexity of Erikson's situation, I wish they had dug a little deeper into Roky himself. As we see him, he's a fascinating enigma, but I get the feeling they left out a whole lot. The film is only 90 minutes; it should be longer. That said, it's an interesting watch. If you care at all for music made in the past 40 years, you need to realize what an inspiration this guy was, and continues to be, for musicians across the board. That alone should be reason enough to see it.
June 23, 2013
Sad, disturbing study of musician Roky Erickson and his family.
April 12, 2013
You're Gonna Miss Me (Keven McAlester, 2005)

You're Gonna Miss Me, which looks at the post-musical life (one cannot call it a career) of psych-rock pioneer and legendary schizophrenic Roky Erickson, is one of the most harrowing things I have ever seen on celluloid. It is also well-nigh incoherent, and since I watched it I've spent a good deal of time weighing whether this was intentional on the part of McAlester (The Dungeon Masters), as a kind of mirroring of Erickson's own thought processes, or whether that even matters (as clever/possibly brilliant as the idea is). I've come to the reluctant conclusion that it doesn't, and that something a little more straightforward would've gotten the job done a lot better than this did-which I rush to add in no way mitigates the straight-up creep factor this movie produces, which is almost unheard-of in the documentary realm.

We begin with an arresting scene, in which Roky's little brother Sumner Erickson is testifying that he, not their mother, should be Roky's legal guardian, alleging that, basically, she's messed him up for the past thirty-five years. Powerful stuff. We then trade off scenes of Roky's life today with documentary bits about the rise and fall of the 13th Floor Elevators and the Aliens. (We eventually come back round to that courtroom scene towards the end of the film, after we've gotten to know Roky's mother even better than we've gotten to know Roky.) Pretty basic documentary technique, but (a) the historical bits seem almost unfinished; there's little snippets of interviews at the beginning with big-name folks like Patti Smith and Billy Gibbons, but those die off pretty quickly, and (b) the present-day bits featuring Roky seem as if they're there solely to create that creeptastic atmosphere, as contrasted to the present-day bits featuring Roky's mother, which are equally creeptastic, but at least move the story forward.

But my ultimate complaint is that the film raises a lot of questions, and then never even attempts to answer any of them. The most obvious is how much of Roky's current state has to do with his incredible, massive drug abuse, how much has to do with the electroshock treatments he was subjected to while locked up in an asylum, and how much is genetic. (I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me you can't watch this movie and not come away well aware that crazy runs deep in the Erickson family.) Perhaps there is no real answer, at least not a definitive one, but no one even tries. We get a lot of bitter sniping from various family members, all of which goes nowhere. Etc. There are a lot of very interesting threads to be found here, but all are left ragged and incomplete.

With a little more planning, a little more asking of the right questions, this could have been one of the great musical documentaries of all time. As it is, it's remarkably like the music of Roky Erickson and the Aliens-a curiosity that seems earnest, but that still has someone in the background looking at how to best hook the rubes come to look at the freaks. ***
February 6, 2013
A sad documentary about the demise of a psychedelic 60s rock star from drug use and later shock therapy whilst being institutionalised for insanity (his lawyer's way of getting him off other legal charges). Roky is diagnosed with schizophrenia and leads a life of poverty and filth, monitored by his aging mum until his youngest brother petitions for guardianship. Truly a moving and at times upsetting doco about this man's life, my only qualm being a somewhat rushed ending. This is definitely worth checking out.
December 26, 2012
A MUST-SEE for fans of roc docs and the unique and troubled Mr. Erickson.
½ December 22, 2012
Sometimes people do great things in their lives & are true pioneers but they were so far ahead they will never be well known for the things they done.

Roky Erickson is one of those people & this documentary is a tough watch but it is well worth it
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
½ October 24, 2012
A bit scattered, but fascinating nonetheless.
August 28, 2012
he is touring again... which is fucking amazing.
July 31, 2012
Interesting movie about Roky Erickson. You can see where he got his crazy from!!!
April 27, 2012
Engrossing film about Roky Erickson - one time singer for 13th Floor Elevators. Drugs, schizophrenia and a damaged family upbringing contribute to Roky's strange spiral downward into obscurity and poverty with his omnipresent and bizarre mother. The DVD has bonus footage that gives a more positive closure to his story and shows Roky in a much happier, healthier place.
November 17, 2011
Interesting documentary about the rise to fame and psychological unravelling of the highly influencial psychadelic rock pioneer Roky Erickson. I'd not heard of him before this documentary, but watching this really showed me what a huge figure he was for rock in the 60s and 70s. If you liked the "The Devil and Daniel Johnston," you will definitely enjoy this film.
½ November 16, 2011
Incredibly hard to watch at times. Similar in subject to "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" but more of a portrait of an entire family gone strangely wrong by the actions of parents who might not have been ready to ever have children. The Mother steals the show here as her ruminations and sleepy rants call her sanity and how she possibly could have cared for Roky for all those years.
November 2, 2011
Sad to see a musical genius deteriorate like that.
½ March 10, 2011
for and hour and a half this movie seemed really long and somewhat uneventful speckled with some sporadically interesting camera work.
October 11, 2010
I can't really rate this movie. I just watched 44 minutes of the movie. I don't know who the guy is or his bands. But it seems like something happen to him. I feel sad to whatever happen to him. He seems like you would have gone farther if he didn't have what happen to him. I asked everyone I know if they heard about him and no one that I know of knows who he is or his bands.
½ June 23, 2010
I preferred the Daniel Johnston documentary but that could be because I have a different taste in music.
June 11, 2010
Et "must" for alle som liker kul musikk !