Yoyo (Yo Yo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yoyo (Yo Yo) Reviews

½ March 17, 2016
An eccentric millionaire (writer/director Pierre Etaix) runs off to join the circus once the stock market crash of 1929 obliterates his fortune. His son (also Etaix) eventually finds celebrity success as YoYo the Clown and he then devotes much of his energy to restoring the decrepit remains of his parent's abandoned mansion. The plot of YoYo takes a firm backseat to the visual gags and physical humor inspired from silent two-reelers; the opening of YoYo uses title cards and sound effects that are shamelessly lifted from the works of Charlie Chaplin. I wouldn't call YoYo a masterpiece, but I was immediately charmed by Etaix' sharp comedic timing and the creative misdirection he places into his sight gags. I'd say it's worth checking out if one is fond of 1920's comedy or the films of Jacques Tati.
½ September 7, 2015
a sad millionare joins the circus reminds of the fellini pic starring his wife and anthony quinn cant think of the name of it.(La Strada)
November 7, 2014
One of the funniest movies ever made.
½ December 7, 2013
Pierre Etaix's funny homage to Keaton, Chaplin and other great screen clowns.
June 14, 2013
The story if a billionaire loosing it all in the great depression and then joining the circus...(as you do...) Pierre Tiax was a solid actor & director & this is an interesting film.

It follows his circus career then his son's journey to keep the circus alive despite the invention of television.

He was a unique filmmaker & only recently his films where allowed to be released on DVD...a quirky interesting film.
June 3, 2013
I didn't think this film was as good as Etaix's debut. In this one, he plays a millionaire who loses everything and joins the circus with a past lover and his son. The narrative then skips forward to the son, and his rise to fame. There is a great gag scene where Pierre must deal with pitches from various weirdos, but ultimately this film is more about identity rather than comedic relief. Its change of tone may not be for all viewers.
rubystevens
April 11, 2013
a sad millionaire runs away to join the circus. charming and adorable
April 5, 2013
The unyielding inventive cleverness of this movie is staggering. Pierre Etaix is like Chaplin, Tati, Bunuel, and Cocteau rolled into one.
November 22, 2011
Work of Art. Amazing!!!
½ September 6, 2011
Pierre Etaix is referred to as the "French Buster Keaton" and from judging by this film I could not deny that. I had never heard of Etaix, but as soon as I saw this hysterical comedy I ordered a box set of his movies as soon as I could. It's really everything you could want from a silent physical comedy. It's witty, stylized, and above all it's performed by an obvious master of comedy. Etaix has are a name for himself in my mind simply by this one film and I can't wait to seek out more of his work.