Ten Nights of Dreams (Yume jū-ya) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ten Nights of Dreams (Yume jū-ya) Reviews

April 21, 2012
Great idea! Some of these are 5-star segments, some disappear into the mass of ten variously opaque stories in a row. The first one - so beautiful. The last one - just perfect. Some in the middle stand out too, particularly one with a phone call and a car accident.
July 26, 2010
Very interesting but highly uneven in quality.
August 9, 2009
OOOOOOOOHHHHH Man do i want to se this film
½ June 22, 2009
A film I truly did not understand and maybe it was the whole dream concept and so you weren't meant to comprehend everything. It's a movie filled with inspiring, imaginative, interesting and sometimes whacky ideas, some better than others.
½ May 13, 2009
Great! Tenth dream was perhaps a bit too much for my taste, but the film is excellent nevertheless.
February 20, 2009
I've seen all of Takashi Shimizu's movie except for this...I must have it!!!
February 10, 2009
Amano's work was brilliant, however the choice of using spoken English made it awkward and lost its panache. The rest of the "dreams" were a hit or miss in relation to my movie taste. Not going to recommend it for everybody.
December 5, 2008
win me back, Shimizu. Puh-leeeeze
December 1, 2008
a few of these films were very, very interesting. all were well done, although Amano's bit was beautifully animated, it was spoken in English and it seemed out of place.
½ November 21, 2008
Beautiful, surreal, imaginative and funny Japanese omnibus based on novelist Soseki Natsume's book on dreams. 10 different directors (including Takeshi Shimizu!) interpret a dream with great success. They decided to make the film because the novel states that the riddle in the dreams will be solved 100 years in the future and the novel, in 2006 when the film was made, was celebrating it's 100th anniversary.
Each segment is extremely creative, seemingly utilizing everything the medium of film has to offer. The dream imagery and logic in each segment is fascinating and highly entertaining. Highly recommended.
½ July 9, 2008
Omnibus films and movies about dreams are both areas that can be problematic. But the two ideas work quite well together. There honestly isn't a bad segment here. The ones by Jissoji and Nishikawa are a little bland, but only in comparison to the others. The dreams run the gamut from strange to funny to gross to scary to tender. The concept allows all the directors to flex their stylistic muscles, and the results are wildly imaginative and often quite beautiful. This was a really nice surprise.
½ July 1, 2008
strange & weird, but cool
March 29, 2008
wonderful short films
March 27, 2008
only 3 segment was good.. the other was boring.
March 18, 2008
love it!
nice compilation!
March 17, 2008
I expected so much on this film. Very surreal, but kindda boring..
March 3, 2008
Great collection of short films based on the book by Natsume Soseki. As with any anthology-type film, some are better than others, but the ingenious - sometimes outrageous - surreal visuals more than make up for the weaker segments.