Z - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Z Reviews

July 17, 2016
A intense and emotional struggle between the political left and right. One of the first and most important film in the political genre. The leading fascist regime is pulling it's strings in the composition of a left-wing-leaders murder. Great cast and the serious french 60s movie-feeling.
June 16, 2016
Thus far, the only film to be nominated by the Academy for Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film. Endeavours to expose the morally corrupted Greek government, this 1969 momentous labour of love somehow loses its political relevancy and urgency over the decades.
April 22, 2016
Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney Investigations: The Movie
March 7, 2016
They wanted to kill me.

An outspoken political activist is brutally murdered in a mysterious and curios manner. As a relentless investigator researches the crime, witnesses turn up missing. As the case gets closer and closer to trial, the case begins falling apart. The investigator and judge will have a tough time getting to the bottom of the unfortunate events.

"That guy got rich selling one eye to an American."

Costa-Gavras, director of Missing, Amen, The Ax, Mad City, Eden Is West, Capital, The Confession, Womanlight, Family Council, and State of Siege, delivers Z. The storyline for this picture is interesting but a bit long and could have been paced better. The acting is solid and the courtroom setting and drama is well executed.

"Seven other witnesses died before the trial."

I recently came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to see it. This wasn't perfect or a must see, but I enjoyed following the story and how it unfolds. This is worth seeing once but is not an all time classic.

"Let them kill each other."

Grade: C+/B-
February 15, 2016
Saw it when it was released, so, long time ago. I still realize it had such an impact on me. Always surprised it is never shown on tv. Will really try to find it now to watch it again - - - -and now it is on Arte tonight. Hurray!
November 13, 2015
Based on actual events, this movie is a striking political thriller and disturbingly illuminates how far corruption can travel. Everything comes together - script, pace, shots, characters, music - to create a gripping though sobering movie watching experience.
½ May 13, 2015
A brave and revolutionary retelling of political oppression.
½ February 5, 2015
a polemic thriller about the assassination of an opposition leader, & one prosecutor's attempt to hold the fascist government accountable.
½ January 11, 2015
Toute ressemblance avec des evenements reels, des personnes vivantes ou mortes, n'est pas le fait du hasard. Elle est volontaire.
½ December 4, 2014
November 15, 2014
Z is relevant and effective, but it is not particularly entertaining, it is too long and often tedious. It is great for fans of politics and political thrillers, but for everyone else, it is rather boring and quite overrated.
October 9, 2014
A very interesting, chaotic movie.

The film tells the true story about a Greek doctor's murder, leading to the overthrow of the Greek government. One of the most interesting facets about the movie is... it has no main character. It follows various different people, policemen, judges, witnesses, etc and the role they all play in the investigation.

Almost none of the characters' names (with a few exceptions) are mentioned. An odd little tidbit.

Costa-Gavras' directing is spot on. Not a second is wasted and the film is edited very well, adding to the tension that you can feel boiling just beneath the surface. The film moves at a rapid pace.

The music for the film, is perfect, and adds to an already fast paced and chaotic film. It's well worth looking into.
June 3, 2014
One of the better political thrillers and certainly the best that France has produced in the genre.
½ May 22, 2014
so all dictatorships act the same.. this could have been Lebanon under Lahoud in 2000.
½ May 22, 2014
An original attack on political conservative corruption that existed in modern day France. I would say that this is where many European political demonstrations got their drive.
May 2, 2014
Timeless study of political corruption
April 19, 2014
It's not that the events depicted in this movie aren't important, it's just that nothing about this movie makes me care anything about them.
½ April 1, 2014
You dont just watch this movie, you commit yourself to it. then you wikipedia the hell out it as it goes to keep track. Also happens to be visually rich, and the rythm is very exhilarating.
March 31, 2014
Z is a well made movie, but I'd be lying If I said that I understood its acclaim. It's bloated (even for a 2 hr runtime) convoluted, and a little too heavy handed at times for my tastes. The film's goal is to to bring insight into a government hypocrisy and murder of a political activist. The only problem is nothing in the film is that insightful, or thrilling for that matter. Not only have I seen more insightful political thrillers, but once that were more tense and well paced as well. The character's talk and talk, but nothing they say or do is they do is that compelling. A great writer (Quienten Tarantino, David Mamet, Woody Allen) knows how to utilize the power of dialogue. When written well words can have the power of bullets, but what's being said here though is just purely bland, and the writer's can't make a well formed or interesting character for the life of them. Maybe, the film has gotten worse with age or maybe I just don't get it, but I was genuinely surprised with how dull I found the film despite its critical acclaim.