Z - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Z Reviews

½ April 1, 2014
You dont just watch this movie, you commit yourself to it. then you wikipedia the hell out it as it goes to keep track. Also happens to be visually rich, and the rythm is very exhilarating.
March 31, 2014
Z is a well made movie, but I'd be lying If I said that I understood its acclaim. It's bloated (even for a 2 hr runtime) convoluted, and a little too heavy handed at times for my tastes. The film's goal is to to bring insight into a government hypocrisy and murder of a political activist. The only problem is nothing in the film is that insightful, or thrilling for that matter. Not only have I seen more insightful political thrillers, but once that were more tense and well paced as well. The character's talk and talk, but nothing they say or do is they do is that compelling. A great writer (Quienten Tarantino, David Mamet, Woody Allen) knows how to utilize the power of dialogue. When written well words can have the power of bullets, but what's being said here though is just purely bland, and the writer's can't make a well formed or interesting character for the life of them. Maybe, the film has gotten worse with age or maybe I just don't get it, but I was genuinely surprised with how dull I found the film despite its critical acclaim.
½ March 4, 2014
Another good movie I watched based on a recommendation.
½ February 7, 2014
Thursday, February 6, 2014

(1969) Z
(In French with English subtitles)
POLITICAL MYSTERY THRILLER

Movie based on fact centering on a meeting that was suppose to take place with one side voting for the purchase of nukes from the Russians while the other side opposing it. Things take a turn for the worst as soon as one of it's biggest oppositions of the nukes leaders became a victim of a deadly assault, forcing the Magistrate(Jean-Louis Trintigna) to seek for the people responsible that could lead to people at the top as he gets help from a photographer journalist, he's played by Jacques Perrin.

Another movie that wouldn't have been entertaining had not a particular journalist step in to help. And the film still has no real resolution and could've been longer since viewers are not given much explanations in terms of the penalties since there also possibly be more cover ups. Oscar winner for Best Foreign film.

3 out of 4 stars
February 2, 2014
well crafted and told political thriller
November 25, 2013
Possibly the best political thriller that was ever made. It is an almost flawless film. Its intellectual center is government hypocrisy of a right-wing government. The film is about a Greek politician fighting an extremist government & its policies. The film entertains as well as educates in re to people that claim to love freedom & liberty & then do everything to see that it fails. The film is one of the best in the political assassination genre. The film may have been the best in the political thriller genre in showing the brutality of bellicose right-wing fascist states. One of the best films I have ever seen.
October 16, 2013
Based on true events of Grigoris Lambrakis in Greece, Costa-Gavras has crafted one of the most haunting and involving political thrillers. With the masterful editing and the rhythmic music score, the horror of mob rule, the absence of the rule of law and corruption from the top is well revealed and force us to ponder over the right way to protect the democracy we have obtained formidably. (How the hell would the crap police have been hired in the first place?) However, the film will not be a classic without Yves Montand and the steadfast Jean-Louis Trintignant.
September 28, 2013
Fácil um dos grandes filmes já feitos. E faz um paralelo revelador ao comportamento político que o Brasil viu durante as manifestações, no meio do ano. E o filme é de 1969.
August 5, 2013
I wasn't that impressed...
June 8, 2013
case study of a political thriller
May 6, 2013
Quick cutting, understated characters, uniformly excellent acting and powerful themes are what make "Z" such a good political thriller. There are parts where the story drags, but those moments are far and few between, and for the most part, we're watching with a deep fascination at the underhandedness of the Greek government.
April 27, 2013
An excellent film with a lot of energy and excitement. The pacing is almost blindingly fast, but the twists and turns always keep you on the edge of your seat.
March 18, 2013
edge of the seat intense political thriller... given the background... a mere 'political thriller' tag might b too undeserving...
January 22, 2013
Maybe if I was born in the late 50's, I would have been all about this movie. But, alas, I was not. As such, I found this to be boring and mostly a rambling mess.
November 13, 2012
As far as political thrillers are concerned, this is one of the most exciting ever made. Costa-Garvas, armed with a sense of urgency and great ambition, made an anti-fascist film where truths are revealed in a no-nonsense grippingly great crescendo, making it thought provoking but also exciting, also thanks to a great screenplay. A cast of big names like Montand, Trintignant and Perrin completes the picture.
October 26, 2012
Partindo do assassinato de um líder político de oposição, o filme traça um painel da terrível situação política de um país que nunca à (C) nomeado.
½ October 3, 2012
I found the political intrigue not that intriguing, the insight not that insightful, and the message not that inspiring or enlightening.
September 29, 2012
When an anti-war senator is killed at a rally, the guilty thugs turn out to be part of a right-wing plot that goes all the way to the top. The young investigating judge is part of the political machine, but we soon find that he is honest and unable to ignore the evidence. Good stuff.
August 17, 2012
One of the best political film ever made.
½ August 17, 2012
Doesn't pull any punches, scathing in its assault on the cover up of a murder. Works as a political thriller as well as historical piece. Just when you think it is coming to a predictable finish, the anti-fascist ending abruptly brings it back to reality.