Zapped! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zapped! Reviews

½ July 23, 2016
Yikes! This movie did not hold up to the test of time. Scott Baio's acting seemed dull and unappealing, and his friend played by Willie Aames played the 'asshole playboy' type way too well in this film. Maybe it might've been better if the roles were reverse and Aames had the telepathy?
January 31, 2016
Technically speaking, this movie is fairly terrible. It's poorly made, the dialogue is laughable, the special effects are even worse, it's fairly sexist, particularly its third act, the acting is substandard. So, really, there's nothing that's kind of good about this film. Yet, to be honest, there's a certain charm about the film that's hard to deny. And I mean a certain B-movie charm, like the film knows that it's terrible and it doesn't pretend to be anything other than that. I know this film is 34 years old, by this point, but they can't have imagined that Scott Baio staring at something with his death gaze to make it move wouldn't be seen as terrible. Not to mention that Scott Baio, to be fair, has never been a good actor. So it's made even more ridiculous by that fact. Like Scott is so obvious with his stares that it's completely unrealistic that nobody else in the movie, with the exception of Bernadette and Peyton, ever noticed that when Barney, Scott's character, had a stupid look on his face that shit moved 'on its own'. I mean you can't help but laugh at stuff like that. But the film still does some pretty cool stuff on its own, like there's the entire thing with Barney's mom thinking her son is possessed by a demon and calling priests in order to perform an exorcism. The film doesn't really have an actual story, like what's the purpose of the film, who the fuck knows? All it is is Barney going around and doing silly shit with his powers, like there's no real endgame here. I'm serious when I say that there is absolutely no point to this movie. The romantic subplot is something else in this movie. It literally comes out of nowhere, like Barney and Bernadette are hanging out, she says something about messing around and then there's the requisite romantic montage where they do various things, like go to picnics, make out, make passionate love. It's so bad that it's almost genius. The third act is almost horrifyingly sexist. Essentially, Barney, giving zero fucks, uses his powers to take everybody's clothes off during prom. But the only people in the prom that are ever fully naked in the film are the women. It's clearly another era, because you couldn't get away with this now and not have some sort of backlash, and a well-deserved one at that. I mean the scene is pretty crazy and somewhat fun, but it's obvious that these were different times and maybe not necessarily for the better. Again, realistically, this movie is terrible, but it entertained me with how bad it actually is, hence why it gets the rating it does. It's a considerably worse movie than the rating implies. This is clearly not recommended if you're looking for something that's good, but it's entertaining to watch if you know what you're in for. This is a movie you laugh at, not laugh with. So as long as you know, and are fine, with that, then this will offer a decent experience. Everyone else need not apply.
November 1, 2015
Scott Baio and Willie Ames turn in their best work in this science fiction tale of teen lust and telekinesis.
September 26, 2015
Yes this movie is a hooky 80's teen comedy but the casting is great. If you are between 40 and 50 this movie will put a smile on your face and bring you right back to the 80's. this movie is a classic. Heather Thomas is a knock out!
½ August 13, 2015
This movie is more fun than the reviewers give it credit. Wacky 80s hijinks and telekinetic powers. The fact that he can suddenly move things with his mind is treated super casually by all the characters, which is kind of funny in its own.
Jocks, frat, prom, boobs, all the teen movie staples.
April 11, 2015
Lame teen comedy whose only redeeming quality was the beautiful Heather Thomas.
½ March 16, 2015
I loved this as a kid, and although it hasn't aged all that well it is still a bunch of fun, and who doesn't love Charles in Charge with telekinetic powers.
½ February 21, 2015
One of the cheesiest, most stereotypical, low grade 80s films I've ever seen.
½ January 3, 2015
ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
½ December 21, 2014
Great high school parody that still makes me laugh.. This is funny!
½ November 14, 2014
Extremely stupid and for some reason kept my attention. Mostly bad acting, bad editing, bad directing, a bunch of actors who don't look like high school kids (a common problem but very obvious in this one). Among other inane plot points: a baseball coach obsessed with salami, a puking contest, roulette (come on, what's more boring than roulette?), low-grade Air Supply rip-off music, stoned mice, and high school kids laughing while their clothes get ripped off at the prom. Oh, great, now I probably just talked some people into seeing it. Baby Baio is adorable, must say. Except that stupid eye thing he does whenever he performs telekinesis.
½ August 24, 2014
Lame 80s comedy with parodies of Carrie, The Exorcist, Taxi Driver, and many others. Teen acquires telekinetic powers via a lab accident. That's about all there is in terms of plot. Better for those that actually remember the 80s.
August 23, 2014
I've seen this movie almost more than any other movie. When I was a young teenager I walked miles a dozen times to see this movie a dozen times and it wasn't because of the nudity it was because of the fantastic romance and fantastic soundtrack which I own still today (vinyl) and love to listen to. This movie is funny, fun, clever, original and the cast just fit perfectly, even if Heather Thomas tried her damndest afterwards to live it down and never really did. She used a body double people! Nevertheless there's something teen-perfect about this movie and I recommend you watch it allowing yourself to forget and release any yea after the age of 15 or so that you might really love it!
½ October 28, 2013
Hey..everyone enjoys this film!!!
½ September 21, 2013
Thought this was entertaining.
September 7, 2013
One of the greatest teen sex comedies ever made hands down. Why are there not midnight showings of this classic?
August 24, 2013
Pretty stupid comedy about a guy that can make anything happen with his mind, but would rather rips clothes of instead.

Seriously, the movie ends at Prom like CARRIE, but all he really does is de-dress everyone.

Besides some naked boobs, this movie doesn't deserve an R rating. Nothing violent or even bad language, just a few naked boobs. Heck, Jewel Sheperd has a cameo to have her top fly off!!!

The story is kind of boring besides the Prom scene, and the film has the best cliched of a nerdy looking girl who without her glasses and add in some makeup, and she's stunning by the end.

Not the best acting either. Could have done a lot better with an R rating.
½ June 17, 2013
Heather Thomas alone gives this puerile teen-fantasy film at least two-stars.
½ May 25, 2013
A corny teeny-bopper movie.
½ May 21, 2013
Not nearly as good as I remembered. Chock full of clichés.