Zathura - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zathura Reviews

April 15, 2016
While there are flaws, I think it's still a well-crafted Jon Favureau film with fun special effects.
½ March 26, 2016
The importance of how you finish then start. When your present self determines what obstacles and problems you go through alone or with the one whom you want by your side. The importance of nourishing that relationship as much as you can before you both have separate lives.
March 14, 2016
Zathura is an especially engaging, compelling, and visually captivating film that seems basically like it's Jumanji in space - but its impressive story that never tends to grow old or boring makes it much more than that.
Two constantly arguing siblings must reconcile their differences when playing a space themed board game that brings its cards to life - it's a life or death situation that requires teamwork and help from a trusty astronaut.
Zathura is surprisingly good and is a lot better than it seems. Its story is very compelling and not one part of it tends to be boring, to lose its touch of fascination and thrill - it's a wonderland of space fun. The visuals and effects, for a kids film, are also equally impressive and steal the spotlight. The acting, however, even though it is primarily child actors, is admittedly mediocre. The film, since we've seen it before with a more lovable, memorable feel to most in Jumanji, is forgettable and feels like an unneeded sequel to it. Unneeded isn't what Zathura is, though - it's compelling and captivating for what looks like an ordinary kids adventure flick and does more than what it promises.
March 13, 2016
LISA IS A BITCH AND I WISH SHE WAS DEAD
February 6, 2016
Great movie, great cast, great acting, etc! ???
February 4, 2016
A modern Jumanji. It maybe better than Jumanji.
January 22, 2016
It's a space version of Jumanji
January 7, 2016
Bad space rip off of Jumanji
½ December 15, 2015
Jumanji in space is a fun time, even if it gets needlessly complex in its final act.
½ December 2, 2015
The fantastical story and the wondrous visuals will most certainly appeal to the target demographic of Zathura, but the characters can be too unlikeable and the movie can feel too derivative to appeal to everyone else.
November 27, 2015
Some awesome visuals and solid execution don't make up for the fatal lack of substance at the heart of this so-so family picture.
November 27, 2015
I did enjoy Jumanji... so I'll probably see this one day
November 26, 2015
Heartwarming. Thrilling. Compelling. Fun. Awesome movie, I love it.
½ November 16, 2015
"I'm in 4th grade, I have a girlfriend, it's time to grow up" says Walter. I may be misquoting but that is probably one of the best lines I've heard in a while.

Zathura is one of the few movies that I remember immensely from my childhood. It contains a fun adventure, a solid screenplay, and some great visuals.

We follow the path of two young brothers who don't get along whatsoever. I've always liked Josh Hutcherson as an actor and he did a pretty great job in this movie. He's always had acting chops and he's made a pretty noticeable career up to this point. Jonah Bobo is actually decent too and although his character is annoying at times, it makes the movie a little bit more real. My point is, if you're going to have a movie that stars child actors, make sure they're at least passable, and both actors here did a good job. I actually thought that they were better actors than Dax Shepard and Kristen Stewart.

What you can really appreciate about this movie is the fact that they used Green screen/CGI only when the situation called for it. They relied mostly on props and sets rather than making it some dumb CGI fest. That effort really made the movie still hold up today visually and everything looked great.

The movie knows it's tone and does a pretty good job of switching back and forth between serious and fun. There are plenty of exciting action sequences, along with some emotional moments that were a bit of a stretch for a kids movie. But either way, it's still an enjoyable movie for both kids and adults. The whole concept of the board game Zathura was so interesting and you were always curious to see what the next event would be. The twist was a bit of a stretch and there were definitely plot holes, but it's still a great family movie that almost everyone can enjoy.
½ October 30, 2015
Think i saw it in theater. Or was that Zumanji?
½ October 26, 2015
They should have call it Jumanji: Space Version.
October 17, 2015
Zathura benefits from its create premise, potential cast, and impressive special effects.
October 17, 2015
l really enjoyed this movie! action packed and my whole family enjoyed it too! I won't give any details away being I feel hopefully someone else will like it too!
½ October 15, 2015
Kids might find more in this than I did, but for me it wasn't very successful. The kids were solid.
October 8, 2015
Childhood nostalgia? Sure,but Zathura has 'eh' effects and ok acting.