Zatoichi and the Doomed Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zatoichi and the Doomed Man Reviews

March 2, 2015
Zatoichi and the Doomed Man shows that direcction can greatly improve a film. Beginning with Zatoichi being lashed for illegal gambling, it sets up the story of Ichi trying to clear the name of a fellow cell mate. He crosses paths with a wily Zatoichi impostor and a equally wily female, and ultimately must battle a crime boss in the atmospheric setting of a dockside pier. The baddies use nets, and even a musket in order to try to take down our main character, for a very suspenseful final battle that is a bit different from the usual film climaxes in this series. Even though the story is a little pedestrian, the action and direction is top notch.
½ October 17, 2014
Much more humourous and lighter in tone than the previous Zatoichi's Revenge, but still with barrels of action we've come to expect from the feisty masseur. This time he not only has to battle the usual tons of corruption from all around, but also a brat who's impersonating him. The cinematography was especially striking. Strongly recommended.
January 25, 2014
Oh right, that same old storyline, Zatoichi helps out a stranger. Geezzzz....The series of films has not gotten any better with this one. It's the same o same o. It's sickening enough to see. The only cool thing about it is, Zatoichi is up against a criminal who uses his name. That's quite amusing. Zatoichi also used two swords in the final battle, which is a first. Other than that, it's still sickening.
January 4, 2014
Another great Ichi film and one that saves up it's action and stunningly choreographed battles for the final half of the film. The story is built up and quickly turns to countless bodies falling and Zatoichi laying waste to anyone who opposes him. This is the second shortest Ichi film as it runs at a fast paced and frantic 77 minutes, but man does it pack in the kills in the last half!
½ January 1, 2013
A great Zatoichi film with a shot of humor--Lots of swordplay!!
½ August 25, 2009
Once again our favourite blind swordfighter is sucked into a dangerous plot. He is asked by a man sentenced to death, to go to the two men that can clear his name. After that it becomes the first Zatoichi "buddy" flick, as he teams up with a comic relief conman. That's right, such formulas were being used over 40 years ago. The comedy is more broad in this outing but never overshadows the production. A few slight changes occur, such as Zatoichi's gambling not being focused around a dice game. This time it's archery and makes him an even more impressive character. It also shows Zatoichi's more reluctant side, as he debates whether to help the man or not. After 10 films even he has started to realise that he always gets involved in deadly situations. The final fight is great, because the villains also realise just how skilled Zatoichi is. Now they are resorting to spears and nets and ropes in an attempt to bring the man down. It's almost a very subtle postmodern Zatoichi film. It's still very predictable, from the narrative and pacing to the events that occur. These slight changes are enough to keep me involved for now. But there's still another 15 films in this series.
½ July 29, 2009
Probably the most disappointing one so far. Thin storyline and the fight scenes are far from as spectacular as they use to be. I guess you get used to a certain standard in Zatoichi series and when they let you down it's hard to take. There is a upside however. A character who is very funny and befriends Ichi starts imitating the great swordsman to get what he wants.
March 31, 2009
Decent adition to the series. More lightly humoured than some of the others.
June 12, 2008
Attempts to break out of the formula, and succeeds.
½ April 15, 2008
A good flick as always, but it's one of the weaker entries so far.
April 10, 2008
"Ira Hayes....
Ira Hayes....
Call him drunken Hayes,
He won't answer anymore.
Not the whiskey drunken Indian or the man who went to war."
½ March 3, 2008
Good story but this chapter was not as good as the usual films. I did like the ending but the comic element was detracting to the film.
February 29, 2008
he is doomed, what ya gonna do?
½ October 9, 2007
Some of the fight scenes are too dark, but I guess it gives a blind swordsman an advantage.

Also I'm a little confused as to what happened to one of the characters at the end of the movie.

That being said, this movie has left me with an insatiable appetite for more Zatoichi movies.
September 26, 2007
Great movie! This has everything people love in an samurai film; intense battles, great action, likeable protagonist not to mention a good amount of humor. Shintaro does a great job of acting.
September 21, 2007
another great entry into this already amazing series! you truly cant get much better samurai movie. this one gets extra points by having a guy impersonate zato...and very comically at that
January 21, 2007
wanna see it i cant wAIT LOL !!!
October 12, 2006
Seen them all. Even the series!!!
Every time i cream my pants from pleasure. Is something wrong with me?