Zatoichi's Revenge Reviews

• Nov 19, 2018

This film was solid.

This film was solid.

• Oct 16, 2014

In this darker-than-usual entry of the series, Zatoichi goes to a village to visit his sensei, only to find he has been robbed and murdered, and also that an evil conspiracy exists to keep farmers in debt to enslave their daughters in lives of prostitution. Naturally, Zatoichi will have none of that, and faces the onslaught in numerous exciting showdowns. I'm greatly anticipating part 11 of the fantastic samurai series this evening!

• Apr 18, 2014

Solid entry and one of the funniest.

Solid entry and one of the funniest.

• Jan 23, 2014

And I thought the title implies a much colder story but it didn't. Zatoichi fails yet again. Another shitty movie to add on the list.

• Dec 28, 2012

It offers many unique twists and turns....though at heart it's still good old Zatôichi--These guys make Zatoichi angry!!

Chris B Super Reviewer
    Feb 26, 2012

One of the best so far in the Zatoichi series of films, the tale really is one of revenge and relies on Ichi to set things right once again. We see a former acquintance of Ichi's whose father has died and she has been forced into prostitution at a local brothel in order to pay back the father's debt to the man. Of course he and the magistrate are corrupt and force many, if not all, of the girls into working at the brothel for "debts" many of which are simply lies in order to keep them there. Ichi sets out and befriends a man famous for sleight of hand and his young daughter who after wronging Ichi a number of times finally set out to be straight and help Ichi set things right and free the girls at the brothel. This really is a great entry that is packed with action and the body count is high as Ichi slays countless men of the corrupt boss in the area before finally striking him and the corrupt magistrate down before moving on to continue his journey.

• Luke B Super Reviewer
    Aug 19, 2009

Zatoichi's Revenge is just as enjoyable and exciting as the 9 films that preceded it, but lacks enough individual moments to make it stand out. The fights, though more competent in their choreography, do seem like they have been done before. The only two stand outs for me in this film, were the guitar soundtrack, adding a very western feel to the whole film, and a supporting character that cheats Zatoichi and then helps him in the final rescue, suggesting that he may become like Zatoichi himself. It really portrays the impact that Zatoichi has on those he meets. Certainly worth stopping by on the Zatoichi journey, but there are others I'll be revisiting before this one.

• Jul 28, 2009

So far so good. This time Zatoichi takes down a brothel. I have to comment on one thing in this movie before I stop writing. The use of black & white flashbacks is new for this series but is used very well in this movie. During the flashback we get to witness a murder. After the first cut to the victims body the sound is cut and we can see the old man trying to flee screaming. The only sound that is used after that is that of the blade cutting him a second time. A very groundbreaking way of using sound and color for the Zatoichi series.

• Anthony V Super Reviewer
    Jul 23, 2008

Another solid Zathoichi outing.

Another solid Zathoichi outing.

• Apr 15, 2008

Brothels, beatings and a blind man's justice. What's not to like?

Brothels, beatings and a blind man's justice. What's not to like?