Zebraman Reviews

• Dec 26, 2019

Weird superhero comedy that never really manages to shine.

Weird superhero comedy that never really manages to shine.

• Mar 13, 2013

Esos horribles efectos especiales pueden ser perdonados gracias a la candidez de sus personajes.

• Dec 24, 2012

Eh, not Miike's best. But still fun to watch.

Eh, not Miike's best. But still fun to watch.

• Sep 02, 2012

Miike turns to superheroes and for the most part succeeds. It's extremely slow at times but never becomes outright boring. The last 30 minutes really makes the film though.

• Jun 02, 2012

It's moronic, it's dumb... The bad guys look like little slimy green fetuses..... But man, it is just too funny. I love this movie. I stumbled upon it while going on a Sundance channel bender with my mother. We both watched it and we could hardly breath because we were laughing too hard. If you like silly Japanese films, I'd recommend it. I'm currently on the hunt to rent the sequel.

• Apr 11, 2012

funny movie, touching in a few places, fun to watch.

funny movie, touching in a few places, fun to watch.

• Feb 21, 2012

Nothing happens for the first 85% if the film, and when something finally does happen, you realize it was dine much better in Full Metal Yakuza.

• Nov 21, 2011

A real life super sentai before Kickass &co. Adhering to the most lovely cliches of the genre, the shy teacher goes from zero to hero in one sincere homage to the genre and to the elegance of childhood dreams... With the usual touch of Miike's disturbin humour, off course. Yatta!

• Nov 05, 2011

Japanese auteur Takashi Miike takes on the superhero genre and claims it as his own, delivering a film in which he keeps to the formula while stamping events with that certain Miike something that has allowed him to successfully bend every genre to his will. Even as "Zebraman" gives us the typical nebbish-turned-hero story, Miike uses the opportunity to poke good-natured fun at popular cinema, notably such films as "The Ring," "Ghostbusters," and "Men In Black." He also works in his recurrent theme of severely dysfunctional families rescued from disintegration by bizarre circumstances, continuing in this vein from "Visitor Q" and "Happiness of the Katakuris." "Zebraman," however, is also among his most good-natured, light-hearted films, devoid of any trace of cruelty. Critics who didn't like this film have largely missed the point; the milieu here is the cheeziness of old Japanese children's TV. Complaining about the silly-looking special effects and corny dialogue is like looking at a Monet painting and complaining about all the little dots. "Zebraman" is pretty close to black and white ecstasy, and if you like anything Miike has done, he still has a few surprises up his brilliant sleeve in this one, crabby critics notwithstanding.

• Jun 19, 2011

A good parody of the Toku genre. If your a fan of either Sentai/Power Rangers, Ultraman, or Kamen Rider you'll love this movie, everyone else stay away.