Zero Effect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zero Effect Reviews

August 26, 2016
Outstanding updating of the Sherlock Holmes character with Pullman as Holmes and Stiller as his Watson and Dickens a very effective Irene Adler.
½ July 30, 2016
Great modern Sherlock Holmes that was completely underrated by critics and overlooked by audiences. Fine performances from all the actors and a good story make this well worth watching.
August 26, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies.
½ May 14, 2015
The group I went to see this with had a wide range of opinions on this film with me being in the fairly poor movie crowd.
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ July 26, 2014
However entertaining, you might find yourself wanting for laughs. An interesting take on the Arthur Conan Doyle style of detective story. Bill Pullman and Ben Stiller work well as a Sherlock/Watson duo, and a crafty use of deduction and observation that, thankfully, doesn't get spread too thin.
You will find it hard not to be engaged by the end, but one can't help thinking that a combination of Stiller, Pullman & Jake Kasdan (Dewey Cox: Walk Hard) should have had you in stitches, but the poker-faced relationship between slightly spaced out Kim Dickens and Pullman will tug on the heart strings come the credits.
March 26, 2014
another revbiew lost-ty flixter
February 24, 2014
My favorite movie of all time. Very tightly-written, very understated. It's everything you DON'T expect from a movie that has Ben Stiller in it.
½ February 14, 2014
Slowly-paced and only interesting up to a point.
½ December 1, 2013
Decent and odd film that succeeds on performances rather than plot.
October 28, 2013
I don't see brilliance here, but I do see earnestness tho, which is still not strong enuff to overcome the films flaws.
Nice first effort for the young Kasdan, but the gushing reviews here seem as if they sucked helium during the movie or something - okay first effort, no big deal overall.
½ June 4, 2013
I never even finished this because it rubbed me the wrong way. Back when I used to watch movies on a job, I would watch anything to kill tie. I rented Zero Effect and it just lacked from the opening frame. Hey Bill Pullman is acting loco but he's a great detective and we also have Ben Stiller trying so hard you can see his straining. A huge cinematic turd
May 30, 2013
One of my favorites, it flew completely under the radar. It's amazing.
½ May 29, 2013
More clued out than clue-driven--Phony, Fake, Cliche, Immature!!
March 8, 2013
Still my favorite movie of all time
February 23, 2013
Unusual but witty Sherlock Holmes adaptation. I really liked it.
December 20, 2012
This movie was much, much better than I thought it would be -- kind of a precursor to the TV series "Monk".
December 7, 2012
Enjoyed the combo of mystery and comedy in this Sherlockian type plot. The actors do an excellent job, and the script is brightly witty,
November 16, 2012
A hidden gem of a movie that opened in the dead of winter that year.
½ October 12, 2012
Might be the most underrated directorial debut since the Coen brothers.