Zhong kui niang zi (The Lady Hermit) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zhong kui niang zi (The Lady Hermit) Reviews

September 6, 2013
Decent Cheng Pei-Pei martial arts vehicle, made a little better with the addition of Shi Szu as the Lady Hermit's eager young student. A film with two kick-butt swordswomen in it doesn't leave much room for Lo Lieh, who has to service a typical and mostly useless male romantic role. The master/student love triangle aspect is one of the more tiresome parts of the film, actually. Some nice Shaw choreography as always, and Pei-Pei's follow up to saying, "I want your arm, your leg, and your head" alone makes this one worth watching.
½ January 6, 2013
Highly underrated work from China, one of many it seems, of a young villager who becomes fascinated with an eldor, due to her mysterious background. She witnesses her ability to fight off sword bandits that invade the village and becomes entranced by her techniques in fending off enemies. The villager than begins to stock the older villager and is in demand of wanting to learn to fight like her. The older woman also has her own goal, to take down the vicious, violent "Black Demon." Exciting, entertaining pic that contains a fair amount of violence and well done story.
½ March 4, 2012
I love way too many of these movies, but this one has everything I love from the genre and nothing that bothered me. Let's see how specific I can get... this is easily one of my favorite pre-Venom Mob Shaw Brothers films that doesn't have a one-armed hero. That still covers a lot of ground. It's actually a really well constructed story. Cheng Pei-Pei is not just a great action star (or action dancer if you'd prefer), but the best actress of the era I've seen. And hey, how about that -- Lo Lieh as a good guy. I was suspicious of him the entire time but only because he's usually a great villain.
½ September 29, 2011
In this fierce martial arts movie, Pe-pei Cheng is the fabled Lady Hermit, a martial arts master. A young student seeks her out to learn from her, and another who likes her joins them on a quest to defeat the evil Black Demon.

it is one of the more violent movies, with lots of body parts and stabbings. A rope bridge scene also inspired the climax of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Lady Hermit has plenty of style and good fight scenes, and Pei-pei Cheng has a lot of badass kill scenes.
September 9, 2011
Cheng Pei-Pei is one of the unsung female heroes of action movies, particularly her excellent work with the Shaw Brothers in films like this one and COME DRINK WITH ME. People who aren't marks for Shaw movies may remember her as the villainous Jade Fox in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. Here she she plays a heroic role similar to the Jade Fox character in that she plays a legendary warrior who hides in plain sight as a maid. The final battle with the memorable villain Black Demon is one for the books.