Zidane, un Portrait du 21e Sicle (Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zidane, un Portrait du 21e Sicle (Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait) Reviews

½ June 4, 2014
Un documental para amantes del ftbol. Los directores Douglas Gordon y Phillipe Parreno siguen a Zinedine Zidane, uno de los mejores jugadores del siglo XXI, durante un partido del Real Madrid vs el Villarreal. Son casi 20 cmaras las que nos muestran la forma de jugar de Zidane, los pensamientos en cada jugada, y los roces del juego. Recomendable en especial por la banda sonora de Mogwai.
August 13, 2013
Zidane is the best football player of all the timess and he will be forever and ever
½ July 28, 2013
Portrait as moving image. Don't go looking for facts or narratives. Totally immersive, although I had the advantage of seeing the band play the soundtrack live while the film was running above them.
February 4, 2013
This should be looped on a flat-screen at the Tate Modern museum...with Mogwai blaring over the speakers...beautifully shot and thoroughly original...
October 19, 2012
An interesting study of human priority and attention. How does its pacing relate to the lack of attention in humans as they spend little time worrying about bigger, more stressful issues than sport and entertainment? This film answers that (specific question) directly. It's a study, and not entertainment which may dread its audiences for sitting through it.
½ July 30, 2012
A documentary-slash-art project showing 90 minutes of Zidane. No comments, no explanation, hardly any context, just images and some awesome sound editing. Highly original, hypnotic, and I admit, occasionally a bit boring.
½ July 25, 2012
Worse Sport Documentary ever made...no interviews no meaning. Poor Photograhy
June 14, 2012
this guy is the best he deserves more
April 12, 2012
Pretty great and awe-inspiring at times. It hard to describe the feelings and emotions the films creates just by following Zidane in seemingly withdrawn events during the game, but it works.
½ April 6, 2012
Those seeking a documentary filled with information regarding Zidane's life and carrer will be, justifiably, bored and frustrated... This, however, is far from what this movie seeks to be. And, for better or worse, the goal is ultimately fulfilled.
Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait is exactly what the title implies: a portrait! One of a genious engaged in his work. Yet, the action shown is not Zidane at his best. There are no magical feints nor brilliant goals and the match is not an important one. And that is the interesting part of the movie! To see someone like Zidane do what's trivial to him. It's like watching an incredible painter sketch... It can be quite boring, but it shows the real relation between him and his art.
The technique applied perfectly captures this confrontation. From the sprawling soundtrack by the post-rock band Mogwai to the assorted interview bits.
Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait shouldn't be discerned as a documentary, but as an art film to be enjoyed at all.
½ September 4, 2011
ห(TM)ั?ลอำ(TM)ว(TM)มา?ัภาหห(TM)?--ุ?อิริยา-,อ Zidane (TM)?ม Real Madrid - Villareal (TM)>ี 2005 สลั?ั quote ำู",อ Zidane า??หลอื(TM)มาหอา(TM)>ระ?อ (TM)?วาม>(TM)ัวห(TM)ั -าม?(TM)ุอล มั(TM)?มมีอะรั(TM)-ิห"ูสั?-าหร
March 21, 2011
Captivating, really good film - the Mogwai soundtrack adds so much.a pleasant surprise.
March 11, 2011
Brilliant soundtrack from Mogwai. Interesting idea. I must admit i lost interest after the first 10 mins
March 10, 2011
One of the best footballers of all-time studied with a fitting soundtrack. Absorbing stuff.
½ March 8, 2011
Whilst I enjoy watching a game of football not sure what the objective was in making this film. The format is of camera footage showing Zinedine Zidane throughout a Real Madrid vs Villarreal La Liga fixture in 2005. The viewer could either conclude that this is football elevated into and expressed as performance art, or conversely, 90 minutes of over indulgence. For me it's the latter, whilst Zidane is no doubt one of the greatest players of his generation, to me, the film doesn't work. I don't think I've ever watched a live match and spent the whole time watching what one player does on and off the ball, there's so much else happening. When you consider that the Real Madrid side features other galaticos surely the real Ronaldo or Beckham are also worthty of some focus other than a passing piece of footage whilst in Zidane's shot?
½ February 10, 2011
Oh my god, I hate this movie so much. It fails on every possible level. It's not an engaging portrait of a soccer player. It's not the chronicle of a fascinating sport. It's not even good cover of a soccer game. This is footage of a guy running around or, when he's not, shouting or, when he's not, milling around. From 17 angles, no less. Why this is called a "21st century portrait", I'll never know. If it's meant to show us the real Zidane, why make a point of silencing his voice? If we're meant to see a master on the field, why not pick a game where he has more to do? This movie seems to be very securely anchored in time, but why then not cover THE GAME itself as best you can? In which case, focus those damned cameras on the freaking BALL. You want to emphasize a human star in this game? Then why not shoot every player equally and make your film out of the man who's the most active? What the filmmakers have successfully made here is a huge, long and rich film where nothing frickin' happens. Nothing happens in close up, and then nothing happen in wide shots, then nothing happens on video, then nothing happens in HD. Then something ALMOST happens, then something happens offscreen, when nothing happens on crummy, eye-bleed video. This is such a big pile of nothing.
½ January 18, 2011
Looks great, sounds great and has some interesting moments, but ultimately a failure.
½ July 6, 2010
It shouldn't work and in the beginning I didn't think it was going to but somehow I was mesmerized by this. Good soundtrack and brilliantly shot but this definitely won't be for everyone. They certainly got a lucky with the choice of game too as it showed both sides of the genius Zizou.
June 19, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...........its got a good cast of actors throughout this movie.....................i think that the director of this art-house/international/drama/sports/documentary movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that this is a good movie 2 watch i think that its got a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is a good documentary movie 2 watch n its enjoyable 2 watch
June 7, 2010