Zorba the Greek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zorba the Greek Reviews

July 23, 2016
I had been wanting to watch this film forever and finally got around to it, and I really enjoyed it. Anthony Quinn is outstanding in the film, he owns the screen every second he's on it. I also like Alan bates in it. The cinematography deservedly won an Oscar. The film has lots of humour, but it also very dark at times. I found watching it to be a rewarding experience.
July 3, 2016
Anthony Quinn is a fascinating and very talented actor, unfortunately, this is not enough to make this film work for me. I found it quite boring and slow.
July 2, 2016
Gave up halfway through, such is the high boredom factor of this film.
May 30, 2016
"Zorba el Griego", dirigida por Michael Cacoyannis es un épico de más de 2 horas de duración, acerca de un tímido escritor británico (Alan Bates) quien camino a Grecia entabla amistad con el sensualista Alexis Zorba (Anthony Quinn) un hombre destinado a enseñarle al escritor el verdadero sentido de la vida. "Zorba el Griego" es una película abrumadora y más que trágica, pero también posee una gran dirección, una música inolvidable, una fotografía hermosa y unas grandes actuaciones a cargo de Quinn, Bates y sus contrapartes femeninas Irene Papas (la viuda) y Lila Kedrova (la prostituta francesa).
May 3, 2016
It's one of those movies where the performance really is what holds it together. Quinn masterfully becomes Zorba, the lustful, everyday man with an insatiable appetite for life. At times though I was surprisingly bored with certain excessively long or unnecessary scenes and felt that the philosophical content wasn't scripted as well as it could've been.
½ March 4, 2016
Would have been good but for the barbarism.

An Englishman, Basil (played by Alan Bates), is en route to Crete where
he owns a long-disused mine. Along the way he encounters, befriends and
employs Zorba (Anthony Quinn). Once in Crete they set about trying to
get the mine operational. Basil is quite risk averse, studious and
introverted while Zorba is extroverted, gregarious, happy-go-lucky and
lives life to the fullest. Over time, Zorba's zestfulness starts to rub
off on Basil...

Starts slowly but over time the movie starts to accumulate a feel- good
factor, especially when we see Zorba's antics and Basil start to open
up.

However, this is all ruined by two acts of sheer barbarism towards the
end, both committed by the moronic inhabitants of the village. What's
worse, both these acts are just taken as par for the course, and there
is no ultimate justice for these acts. You could understand the
imbecilic villagers feeling that way, but both Basil and Zorba continue
as if nothing had happened. What's more, the first case involves
someone quite dear to Basil.

From the point of the first atrocity, the air goes out of the movie and
this is made worse by the second act. There are some lighter moments in
the last few scenes but these can't repair the damage. What should have
been a light, happy movie, even a comedy of sorts, ends as an uneven
study in the barbaric customs and thinking of primitive people.
December 6, 2015
A film that simply grows on you second by second until your caught under it's spell. A simple but significant story of a English Man who inherits land in Crete in Greece and along his way stumbles across Zorba the Greek.

You couldn't have to polar opposites on screen but the charm & chemistry of the two is undeniable. Zorba is owned by the performance of Anthony Quinn that is truly once in a lifetime.

It's a film filled with passion (especially the luscious look of the film made by the Cameraman) & the perils of life. It's refreshing & a great study of two people in the unforgettable backdrop of coastal Greece. A must see classic!
November 6, 2015
Classic. Anthony Quinn's performance exemplifies the Greek spirit. There were some uncomfortable scenes. Good movie for the most part. Lila Kedrova was outstanding.
½ June 12, 2015
Boring as fuck. I didn't even want to finish it. Boring stories from Greek people and the crazy Zorba in Greece of 1940's(?)
May 4, 2015
Starring Anthony Quinn, Alan Bates, Irene Papas, Lila Kedrova. Anthony Quinn, in his best film role, is irresistible as the life-loving title character. He joins British-born writer Alan Bates as he travels from the Greek mainland to the island of Crete, with a notion to open a mine. Along the way, Bates gets involved with a widow whose life meets a tragic end when she is accused of adultery. Equal parts life-affirming and life-questioning, this film only loses points for its stubborn lack of a sympathetic character. Directed by Michael Cacoyannis.
½ January 20, 2015
La banda sonora, los personajes, la historia, el tipo de pelìcula que me gusta.
Billie P.
½ December 18, 2014
Zorba the Greek (1976) came out during a time when Hollywood was reaching out in all kinds of directions to release films to butts in movie theater seats. This US-Greek production stars Alan Bates as Basil, a half-Greek, half-English man who is en route to Crete to take over his now-deceased father's mine there. In transit he meets Alexis Zorba (Anthony Quinn), who is a lively good-humored man who volunteers to do work for Basil. Zorba dances in the face of adversity, and he's not afraid to lie and bend rules in order to maintain a sense of playfulness, especially in this movie's world, which just seems to be such a bummer. Troubling, however, is the way in which the women in the film get so easily cast aside or how they're viewed as means to men's lusty ends. Basil's and Zorba's world is definitely a man's world, and women have no agency here. I'm thinking here of the Widow and Madame Hortense. You'll see.
½ December 3, 2014
The most memorable things about "Zorba the Greek" is the small village setting on Crete Island, Anthony Quinn's performance, and Theodorakis' magnificent music.
½ November 25, 2014
September 22, 2014
Anthony Quinn is magnificent, but I couldn't care less what's going to happen to him and Alan Bates. Great views of Crete though.
½ September 3, 2014
A magnificent film, this strange society between the English man and Zorba, between the boss and the "doer" . The end of the film with the two of them dancing after losing their business.
It's hard to watch the old customs that condemn a widow, because she can´t love freely.
June 3, 2014
The be all and end all of Anthony Quinn's career. It is the role that defined him even though I am pretty sure that he isn't Greek. It nonetheless led to a bunch of roles as swarthy individuals. Nonetheless he is wonderful at the centre of a delightful production.
½ September 21, 2013
Very dramatic, at times surreal, a film about the joy of living on friendship and how to deal with the difficulties of life with philosophy.