Zorro, the Gay Blade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zorro, the Gay Blade Reviews

½ August 12, 2015
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This movie is funny as hell man. I loved this movie before I understood what "gay blade" meant. I just thought he was SUPER happy and loved brightly colored outfits, of course now I know that it means you served in the navy and you're very talented with a whip! Now that I think about it, the gay Zorro doesn't use a blade.... title error, loss of half a star!
August 9, 2015
One of my all time favorite movies. I really can't understand the negative reviews by the movie critics, one can only assume that they feel that it a slight on the "serious" Zorro story. The quotes, the over the tops accents and swashbuckling and the 100% goods guys vs the 100% bad guys without any shades of grey make this a wonderful comedy.

Our family still quotes the movie 34 years later..."Ship oil, you know the little Baa Baa Baas."
July 6, 2015
Our kids adored this movie, which never takes itself more seriously than necessary. My gay brother was very dubious but thoroughly enjoyed all the silliness. Not a movie that cures cancer, but harmless fun for all.
April 9, 2015
not one,ONE laugh.....boring.
March 5, 2015
Under appreciated classic.
October 29, 2014
Why the can't i watch this?? i want to buy it
½ October 12, 2014
Zorro, the Gay Blade is one of the most enjoyable spoof comedies I've seen in quite sometime. It isn't a spoof in the usual sense, but more of a send-up than anything. This is a movie that I saw pieces of when I was a kid but didn't see it in full until I was an adult, and I almost wish I had seen it sooner. It's quite hilarious. The entire cast is perfect in their roles and everybody manages to get a belly laugh from me. George Hamilton is amazing in his dual role as Don Diego Vega and his gay twin brother Bunny Wigglesworth, both of whom don the the mask of Zorro. The film also has a terrific supporting cast, including Lauren Hutton, Brenda Vaccaro, and Ron Liebman, as well as small roles for Frank Welker and Clive Revill. It's a beautiful movie, as well, with lush colors and landscapes, as well as some terrific sword fights and action set pieces. The comedy shines through, of course, and the characters are quite strong. It's a movie that's easy to fall in love with, whether you're a fan of Zorro or not. Definitely one to check out.
May 20, 2014
Thankfully free of lame pop-culture references, this straight forward jab at the Zorro mythos still doesn't quite become legend. Despite a charismatic cast and some decent production values for a spoof, it just lacks many hearty belly laughs, is slow paced, and never exploits its swashbuckling antics like 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights' would over a decade later.
½ April 9, 2014
George Hamilton terrifically underrated. I'm not a huge Ron Liebman fan, but thought he was terrific in this.
April 5, 2014
I cannot understand why this has a 43% tomatometer rating. I think this movie is hilarious. It's a spoof but at the same time has real characters that keep you into the plot. And George Hamilton gives a super funny performance.
December 21, 2013
Hilarious! One of my favorite movies.
November 21, 2013
Absolutely hilarious! I've been a Zorro fan from Tyron Power to Antonio Banderas and this spoof is a classic with knee jerk humor. Anyone who thinks otherwise has their pants on too tight!
April 12, 2013
Swashbuckling, quick witty dialogue and outstanding comedic performances by Ron Leibman and of course Hamilton. Plus, how often do you see homosexual characters as flamboyant but heroic action stars? This is literally the only one I can think of. Classic.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
December 6, 2012
Hilariously funny. A must see.
November 3, 2012
This movie is just too funny, love it, love it, love it! lol
October 10, 2012
A light-hearted take on the Zorro legend with George Hamilton in duel roles, flexing his comedic muscles as a philanderer and his flamboyantly gay twin brother who take turns in portraying the titular hero with varying results. But the film belongs to the wonderful pairing of Ron Leibman and Brenda Vaccaro, whose love-hate relationship as Esteban and Florinda showcases a number of scene-stealing physical gags and one-liners. By no means politically correct and falling short of being exceptional, but this is a fun, easy-going ride.
October 1, 2012
A very funny yet underrated homage to the legendary masked bandido. George Hamilton and Ron Leibman embrace the campiness of the movie and are just hilarious.
September 20, 2012
This is a great comedy. It had many likable characters and jokes.
August 1, 2012
One of my favorite movies from my childhood...Probably saw it close to 100 times as a kid. I have not seen it in 25 years or so. Still a fun movie to watch after all that time...and I remembered so much of it.