Scary, 10% "Boogeyman" Tops Box Office

What is it with horror films these days? It doesn't matter how badly they are reviewed, or what they're about; they just keep raking in money at the box office. "Boogeyman," which has a very moldy Tomatometer of 8%, dominated the box office this weekend with $19M. It is directed by the director/writer (Stephen Kay) of such classics as the 0% "Mod Squad" and the 10% Stallone dud "Get Carter" -- maybe it's all those Lucy Lawless ("Xena") fans who just wanted to see her back on the screen (big or small).

"The Wedding Date," starring Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney, had a strong debut with $11.1M, despite being clobbered by critics. It has a similarly moldy 10% on the Tomatometer. It placed second.

In third place is "Are We There Yet" with $10.6M for a side-splitting total of $51.3M in three weeks. Despite bad reviews, the film continues to hold up well from week to week, and may even eclipse "Barbershop"'s $75M total as Ice Cube's personal best for films in which he received top billing.

Last week's chart topper, "Hide and Seek," fell to fourth place this weekend with $8.9M. Of the films in the top 10, it has the biggest drop-off from the previous weekend at 59%. Its total in two weeks is a still solid $35.7M.

Rounding out the rest of the top 10 are "Million Dollar Baby" with $8.5M ($34.4M total); "The Aviator" with $5.4M ($75.9M total); "Meet the Fockers" with $4.8M ($265.2M total); "Sideways" with $4.7M ($46.7M total); "Racing Stripes" with $4.3M ($40.4M total); and "Coach Carter" with $4.2M ($59.3M total).

Comments

kenporules

Tim K

With crap like this topping the box office, it's making the genuinely "good" horror movie become an increasing rarity - after all, why waste the time making something good when crap sells even better? Maybe someday people will realize that they're essentially paying for the same movie over and over again and wise up. Haha, who am I kidding.

Feb 7 - 08:17 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

There's no justice, is there?

Feb 7 - 11:29 PM

Spike1967

Frank Cogan

I totally agree. Several of my friends went and saw this, and they all said, the plot was very similar to Darkness Falls. The really sad thing is, Sam Raimi, who made the awesome Evil Dead films, was one of the producers. He also produced the tepid American remake of The Grudge. It seems people are settling for medicore horror, instead of something good. The most disturbing trend is the editing down of these films to get them a PG-13 rating, so the greedy studio can make more money. "Sigh"

Feb 8 - 05:56 AM

renodc

Ryan Meals

[b]The Sad Thing[/b]
The sad thing is that as much as I want to blame the studios (greedy scum bags)
I really can't. It's the morons out there that keep buying tickets for this garbage that continue to get these movies made. Nothing draws idiots to the movies like psychos, zombies, rappers and pop stars. Now granted every now and then a good psycho or zombie movie comes along, but it's about as often as a visit from Haley's Comet. What really pisses me off though is that crap like Boogeyman and Hide and Seek make big bucks with little if any creative effort, and movies like the Aviator and Sky Captain (visual imagery) that push the boundaries of filmaking can't even make their budgets.

Feb 8 - 06:18 AM

comoshnada

James Neverman

[b]The true sad thing!!![/b]
I think the true sad thing is that people like renodc think that since they didnt like the movie every one else must be stupid for watching it. Believe or not, every one is not going to agree, and its not up to renodc to judge them. Who are you to condemn this movie, So, please, PLEASE keep your MORONIC opinions to yourself.

Feb 8 - 07:58 AM

renodc

Ryan Meals

Sorry I got your panties all in a wad there, but obviously you're one of the idiots I was talking about Comoshnada. In case you didn't notice, this is an OPINION post and I'll express my OPINION however I good and well please. If this doesn't do it for you, then go start your own site and I promise I won't post on it. Oh and by the way you seem to be in the minority on your opinion here not to mention the fact that your beloved Boogeyman got a whopping 8%, which is 1% worse than Catwoman awful. I was simply agreeing with the 3 posts prior to mine.

Feb 8 - 06:00 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Look, comoshnada, just because you're not face-to-face with these people doesn't mean you have the right to be so rude. If you're thinking of saying 'well everyone else is doing it', I would gently remind you that if everyone else jumped off a cliff you wouldn't be doing that.

Feb 13 - 04:18 AM

Dox

Anton Waldropt

[b]The true true sad thing[/b]
The true true said thing is PPL like comoshnada don't understand what the meaning of the word "opinion" is and condemns other ppl because of that, in defense of stupid bullcrap movies like Boogeyman...i'm not in defense of anyone here...but get a life!!!

Feb 8 - 12:50 PM

Madman

Dave Gendron

[b]the true true true sad thing...[/b]
is that I posted here just so I could say true true true sad thing.

Feb 8 - 03:03 PM

renodc

Ryan Meals

Feb 8 - 06:00 PM

suggsmar

mark suggs

i don't see why the person who wrote the article is suprised in the least. look at what else came out on the same day, then put yourself in average male 20 and over's shoes. your lookin at 'wedding date': sorry, chick flick. ' are we there yet? ' ... see a movie about bratty kids... please.. i want to escape from reality when i go to the movies. ' million dollar baby'.... underhyped, don't know anything about it... wait, i forgot, i'm sexist, so pass.

Feb 8 - 09:00 PM

ChickenWing89

Luke Davis

[b]renodc and comoshnada[/b]
renodc; comoshnada is doing the same EXACT thing as you. Expressing his opinion.

"It's the morons out there that keep buying tickets for this garbage that continue to get these movies made." -renodc

"PLEASE keep your MORONIC opinions to yourself." -comoshnada

You call millions of people a moron, and he calls you a moron.

The true sad thing is not WHAT you said, but HOW you responded to what comoshnada said.

Feb 9 - 06:30 AM

mymodestmouse

Cindy Loney

[b]what is the actual saddest thing?[/b]
That i read all of that.

Feb 9 - 10:12 AM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Feb 13 - 04:18 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday