Will Ferrell Refuses "Elf 2" and "Old School 2"

There's been a few rumors flying around lately that Will Ferrell might be doing another "Elf" and will almost definitely being doing another "Old School." Well, the actor roundly denied both rumors, and did so in typically amusing fashion.

From The Guardian: "By 2005, after only 10 years in the business, Forbes magazine had Ferrell down as America's best-paid actor, with $40m in the bank that year. And he turned down $29m to make Elf 2, a sequel to his brilliant 2003 Christmas hit about a human raised by elves, making his way in Manhattan. Wow, indeed.

Will isn't at all embarrassed talking about such large sums of money. 'That's what was on offer for it,' he says. 'But I killed the idea of a sequel. I never liked it - $29m does seem a lot of money for a guy to wear tights, but it's what the marketplace will bear. It's insane, but it's not my call. The studios perpetuate it and they make it hard to say no.'

...

'It wasn't difficult at all,' he says. 'I remember asking myself: could I withstand the criticism when it's bad and they say, "He did the sequel for the money"? I decided I wouldn't be able to. I didn't want to wander into an area that could erase all the good work I've done - but you watch, I'll do some sequel in the future that's crap.'

Will is remarkably clear about the real value of his film work. I mention a rumour about a sequel to Old School, the boorish 2003 Frat comedy he made with Vince Vaughn and Luke Wilson and in which he famously runs around town in his Y-fronts. I add that I really hope there isn't more of this to come. 'Oh, I wouldn't do another Old School,' he says quickly. 'They put these rumours out there, these studio people, but I would never be behind that one.'"

Click here to read the rest of the article, which is really quite good.

Comments

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Good. Let's do something new.

Nov 21 - 05:36 AM

mikeyh

michael henning

Good for will ferrell, bad for us, because now the will prob find some lame ass actor to do the sequels anyway. Wtf

Nov 21 - 05:44 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I agree that everybody's doing way too many sequels these days. That said, I'm a little bummed that he's out for an Old School sequel. I can see it continuing to be funny if they got everyone back. But oh well. There'll be other funny movies.

Nov 21 - 07:04 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Good idea Will. As much as I loved Elf, it feels really good to see an actor who knows when it's time to move on!

Nov 21 - 08:47 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I was kinda hopeing that he'd do another Old School but oh well it's probably for the best.

Nov 21 - 11:12 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

we need another Elf and Old School as much as we needed Dumb and Dumberer and Son of the Mask. sometimes when you hit a home run with a comedy, you just gotta walk away and let the original hit stand on its own. yeah, they'll probably still make a Ferrell-less Elf 2 or Old School 2, but the talented star that made the original films great gave those films their credibility.

Nov 21 - 11:36 AM

loof

Ryan Taylor

[b]Nice[/b]
It's good to know not everyone wants to make sequels these days.

Nov 21 - 12:36 PM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

Old School and Elf dont need sequels. If a movie seriously warrants one than an actor continuing it doesn't matter to me, in fact it's encouraged, but there is no doubt that sequels to both of these movies would just be money grabbers. Nice to see Ferrell realizes that, even with the tune of 29million floating around his ears.

Besides, he may not be a star in either of these eventual sequels, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made a cameo, esp. for Old School 2.

Nov 21 - 02:50 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

i commend Will Ferrell for know when a bad idea is on the table and killing it. an Elf sequel wouldv'e ruined our memories of the first one, which is now officially a holiday movie classic.

Nov 21 - 03:40 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

old school was pretty funny, better then most teen comedys..........but i was suprised how much i enjoyed elf when i saw it.........i didn't know what to think of it but by the time it was over i laughed enough to give it a solid 7 out of 10 (the review isn't in my journal but it will be soon) but either way most sequels suck unless you carefully craft them like empire strikes back or T2:Judgement Day or something but i really don't see any point in sequels for these two movies so good job will ferrel

Nov 21 - 04:38 PM

Pokchu

Ben Purdom

I love you, Will Ferrel. Way to stand up for yourself, and not be greedy.

Nov 22 - 09:04 AM

Chim

Robby Robertson

Keep it up, Will.

Just try to stay affordable.

Nov 22 - 10:18 AM

ian33g

ian gray

you're all wrong, will ferrell said "i havent lost any enthuisum for doing old school 2" but nobody is officaly signing on until the script is finished.

Oct 1 - 10:30 PM

Glenn L.

Glenn Long

Elf was not that funny.

Nov 25 - 06:36 PM

Rocky Orto

Rocky Orto

ah fuck you guys.

Jan 18 - 03:06 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday