Wahlberg Less Optimistic About "Departed" Sequel

Not too long ago, "The Departed" survivor Mark Wahlberg was buzzing around and proposing ideas for a sequel. Although we've been told that screenwriter William Monahan is presently banging away on a second screenplay, it doesn't seem like the follow-up is going to happen any time real soon.

"Until I'm actually on the set it's not happening," is what Mark told a UK news site, comparing the project to the oft-discussed but not-happening sequel to "The Italian Job." The singer-turned-actor then climbed out on a limb by saying something revolutionary: That most sequels kinda stink. Except "The Godfather Part 2," of course.

The actor seems to take a lot of pride in the fact that he's never done a sequel before ... but I bet he hopes we didn't notice that he's already done a big fistful of remakes, including "Planet of the Apes," "The Truth About Charlie," "The Italian Job," and (of course) "The Departed."

Once there's something concrete on "The Departed 2," we'll be sure to let you know.

Source: Dark Horizons

Comments

randal1013

Randal 1013

i really don't think they should make a departed sequel. i think they should spend their time and money coming up with an original idea instead.

Apr 3 - 06:28 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

[b]Please Dont Make This[/b]
I thought the Departed was a good movie, thats it. The first 20 minutes were a work of genius, that Irish Punk song they play throughout it was great, but other than that it was a very overrated film-- it figures it would be remembered as Scorsese's Oscar film, since the oscars have given their awards to overrated films for the past decade or so.

I thought it would be a huge improvement over the highly entertaining "Infernal Affairs", but despite the writer's attempt to make the characters more three-dementional, it still came across as being not worse, not better, but just as good as the original. Which I guess is still impressive for a remake. It's not often we're able to keep a 3-star film a 3-star film for the remake

Also, I think they made a sequel to "Infernal Affairs" in Hong Kong, did anyone here see it?? Was it any good??

Apr 3 - 08:04 AM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

THat "Irish Punk Song" is called "Shipping up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys off of their most recent album "Warrior's Code". Honestly it wouldn't have been a film about modern Boston without Dropkick in it somewhere. Good job Scorsese

Apr 3 - 08:15 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

thanks for the info, I'm downloading the album as we speak

Apr 3 - 08:21 AM

tycox

Tyler C

I haven't seen them yet but I do know that it is a trilogy, one set before the first and one set after. (This can work since they didn't kill everyone in Infernal Affairs.) The second one was nominated for 11 Hong Kong film awards and the third was nominated for 7 so I would imagine that they would be totally worth watching if you liked the first one. As far as the sequel for the Departed goes..they should just let it go. That is one movie that should not be tarnished by one maybe even two sequels just to milk the franchise a little more to keep their paychecks coming in. That seems to be the trend with most sequels and remakes in the last five years. Look at the horror genre for example. There might be one or two great mainstream horror films a year and everything else is just something we have all seen before....its just sad thats all...

Apr 3 - 08:23 AM

Apr 3 - 08:21 AM

tycox

Tyler C

Apr 3 - 08:23 AM

smjeffries1959

Steve Jeffries

I've seen all 3 infernal affairs and yes, part 2 and 3 were good but not as good as the first. Tycox is right - they didn't kill everyone off - but #2 was a prequel so that's still a possibility.

Apr 3 - 08:31 AM

adml_shake

Robin Goins

wait, so they aren't making a follow up to the Italian job? Bummer.

Apr 3 - 10:56 AM

tycox

Tyler C

I have read recently about The Brazilian Job being the sequel and if they have given it a title then they surely have a script of some kind so I wouldn't be suprised to see it sooner or later.

Apr 3 - 12:14 PM

crudebob

Brendan Sanchez

Good! Now let's get on with a sequel to King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Apr 3 - 11:37 AM

tycox

Tyler C

Apr 3 - 12:14 PM

GreenBastard

Craig Storey

Damn, the Italian job sucked! They missed all the fun stuff that made the original such a great movie.
And sequels don't always suck, Spiderman 2 was pretty good. Actors who go in shit house re-makes suck- Planet of the Apes, The Italian Job.
Sorry, I think Mark Wahlberg is great but to say sequels suck is pretty lame ass.

Apr 3 - 08:59 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast