25 Favorite Films with Broken Lizard!

RT catches up with the comedy troupe as they take their latest film to Slamdance.

After a successful run of studio comedies (most recently, 2006's Beerfest), the Broken Lizard gang is returning to their indie roots with the self-produced Slammin' Salmon, a restaurant-set comedy co-written by and starring all five members (and directed by Lizard and first-time helmer Kevin Heffernan). Rotten Tomatoes caught up with the Lizards en route to Park City, Utah, where they'll premiere Slammin' Salmon at the Slamdance Film Festival, to find out their 25 Favorite Films of all time!

The members of Broken Lizard (Super Troopers, Club Dread, Beerfest) -- also known as Steve Lemme, Erik Stolhanske, Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, and Paul Soter -- have been friends since their college days, and it shows; when RT sat down to chat with the Lizards about their favorite films, they chimed in over one another with their favorite movie quotes, recollections of man dates past, and of course, plenty of good natured jabs. Slammin' Salmon, in which a heavyweight champ-turned-restaurateur (Michael Clarke Duncan, letting loose) pits his wait staff against each other in a Glengarry Glen Ross-style contest, marks the Lizards' return to independent film; they hope to land distribution after their premiere at Slamdance. (And in case you're wondering, having come face to face with Super Troopers fandom at a live, Rocky Horror-style version of the flick, they are indeed in the scripting phase of Super Troopers 2.)

Below, get to know your favorite Broken Lizards as we hear each member's five favorite films -- making this a very special installment of RT's 25 Favorite Films with Broken Lizard.

Steve Lemme

Jaws (1975, 100% Tomatometer)
JawsMy favorite film of all time is Jaws, for a number of reasons. I think it's a perfect film; everything about it works. Obviously, the music --- there are not many theme songs that actually elicit an emotion. From the floating barrels, the scene where Sheriff Brody's on the beach, and stuff keeps blocking his view while he's trying to see what's going on and you're in the audience [cringing]...additionally, my dad took me to see it in the theater when I was seven; he's from Argentina and I guess he didn't understand the rating system. The R rating meant nothing to him at the time. He bought me a Jaws movie poster afterwards and I stuck it in my bathroom and shut the door, and I didn't open the door again for two years. I thought that when I opened the door, water and a shark would come pouring out and eat me. For the longest time, I couldn't go in swimming pools.

[Editor's note: Jaws is actually rated PG.]

Braveheart (1995, 76% Tomatometer)
BraveheartNumber two is Braveheart. I choose that as my second because I didn't sleep that whole night, I was up for 24 hours after seeing it because I couldn't believe they killed Braveheart at the end.

RT: Movies really mess you up, don't they?

Erik Stolhanske: You refer to being thrown out of a castle window...

[Pause. Stolhanske "raises the roof."]

Lemme: That's a very inside Braveheart joke. And yes, Stolhanske raised the roof, and his face is turning beet red. Braveheart is both a love story and an action movie...and at any moment I thought they were going to rescue him and they never rescued him. Same with his wife: Okay, they're not gonna cut her throat, they're not gonna cut her throat -- WHOA! They cut her throat! She's scanning the horizon for Braveheart, any second now Braveheart's going to come save the day...it's awful.

The Matrix (1999, 86% Tomatometer)
The MatrixNumber Three would be The Matrix; I saw it opening day, Friday morning at 10 a.m., then saw it in the final screening that day, and four more times in the theater. It's just an amazing movie.

Grease (1987, 83% Tomatometer)
GreaseNumber four would be Grease, which I saw ten times in the movie theater [and recently]; Paul [Soter] had never seen it, so we went to a revival when it came out again.

Paul Soter: I had never seen it! I had three older sisters, so I was like eh, girl movie. But Lemme talked me into going, on a date. [Fun fact: three of five Broken Lizards named a favorite film that they'd seen on a man date with Soter.]

Lemme: I went as the Fonz for Halloween one year and put Vaseline in my hair, which was a mistake, because it took like two months to get it out.

Jay Chandrasekhar: And he couldn't go to the bathroom because of the shark to wash it out.

The Sting (1973, 91%), The Natural (1984, 83%)
The StingAnd Number Five is a tie [the other Broken Lizards groan]. It's The Sting and The Natural. And that's it.

Next: Erik Stolhanske takes it back to the seventies...

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Thats a great list. It seems a lot of the interviewes really like Being There, which is awesome and if anyone here doesn't know yet there re-releasing it and its going to be on Blu-Ray. I like Broken Lizard despite Club Dredd and Dukes of Hazzerd sucking (I thought), I think Super Troopers and Beerfest were funny. I hope Slamming Sammy is funny. This must have been such a fun interview.

Jan 16 - 07:56 PM

UmbrellaLandFood

Keegan O'Brien

i like farva's movie picks the most
strangelove is prolly on my top five

Jan 16 - 08:40 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I am so glad Airplane made their list. Good variety

Jan 16 - 08:48 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Wow, excellent all around. Personally I think everything they touch turns to garbage, but hey that's me.

Jan 16 - 10:44 PM

Weed17

Naveed Shah

i hated beerfest. excuse me if i am not an usual run of the mill stupid man joke loving stooge. i do like beer tho :] hvnt seen super troopers, but i heard its good

Jan 17 - 04:39 AM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

Dude, even in interviews these guys are tight. They are a great comedy team.
BTW... Jokerboy is right. Saw Being There last weekend. AMAZING movie. If I had seen it like ten years ago after graduating high school I probably would've went searching the world for meaning. It's a movie that is a state of mind.

Jan 17 - 07:56 AM

He's a Cockapoopoo

Michael Harto

Husbands! Five Easy Pieces! I looked up to Erik before when he busted through P 90 plyometrics on one leg, but he's taken on a whole other level of cool. I'm so amped I'm gonna spend the next few hours ripping into reviewers that gave Husbands a rotten.

Jan 17 - 08:01 AM

magnolianights1990

Eliot Vitalie

Dude, why do you have pennywise as a picture?

You'll scare the hell out of kids.

Jan 17 - 04:28 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Red hair . . . Pasty white skin . . . Mangled teeth . . .
He kind of looks like me.

Jan 17 - 09:02 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Very cool list. I like a lot of variety, but I can agree with the repeats these guys threw out (Reservoir Dogs, Spinal Tap, etc.). I'm really looking forward to Slammin' Salmon.

Jan 17 - 09:01 AM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

They make 40,000 bottles of beer a day. I drink 40 off the line, AND I'M THE *** HOLE?!?

Jan 17 - 09:10 AM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

You have to dominate the swordfish, only then can you saute it.

When Michael Clark Duncan said that line in the trailer I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes.

Jan 17 - 09:18 AM

Ryan S.

Ryan Spitler

You know "Jaws" was actually rated PG when it was released

Jan 17 - 09:26 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Braveheart at 76%? WOW.

Thanks Jen. You put a lot of work into this and it shows.

I've seen their films, and just found them mildly nice. My juvenile friends who still think they are in college, however, absolutely love them . . .

Jan 17 - 11:57 AM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

Well, surprisingly great picks from Paul Soter. Airplane! and Crimes and Misdemeanors are amongst my favorites of all time too, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Butch Cassidy. Reasonably good picks from the rest, too. I wasn't expecting anything too high-brow, and they didn't deliver anything too high-brow.

I've seen Super Troopers and I quite liked it. Beerfest was pretty good fun as well. However, most seem to agree that those are their best works, and I seem to have unintentionally avoided their less-loved works. So I guess I can't be an accurate judge of them. I'll probably see Slammin' Salmon at one point or another, though.

Jan 17 - 12:29 PM

magnolianights1990

Eliot Vitalie

Dude, why do you have pennywise as a picture?

You'll scare the hell out of kids.

Jan 17 - 04:28 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Red hair . . . Pasty white skin . . . Mangled teeth . . .
He kind of looks like me.

Jan 17 - 09:02 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Definitely more taste than talent with that group.

Jan 17 - 05:30 PM

SterlingCinematic

sterling andrews

Hey you know who has sexy breasts? Megan Fox. check her out.

Jan 17 - 06:20 PM

SterlingCinematic

sterling andrews

Hey you know who has sexy breasts? Megan Fox. check her out.

Jan 17 - 06:19 PM

SterlingCinematic

sterling andrews

Hey you know who has sexy breasts? Megan Fox. check her out.

Jan 17 - 06:20 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

So glad Breaking Away made it. That is one really, good, movie.

Jan 17 - 07:26 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Red hair . . . Pasty white skin . . . Mangled teeth . . .
He kind of looks like me.

Jan 17 - 09:02 PM

jorel1114

First Last

These guys really suck at life...there's a reason that their movies consistently don't make money...it's because they're not funny. I get that maybe starting out things would be slow, that you'd build a cult following. but they've actually gotten worse with time. What a bunch of asshats

Jan 18 - 12:39 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday