AlRawabi School for Girls: Season 1 Reviews

• 2d ago

A series so brave and of such high caliber is rare these days. "AlRawabi School for Girls" vividly illustrates the destructiveness and futility of such cycles of violence on all levels of society. The cast was phenomenal and we look forward to seeing more from Tima Shomali soon!

• Dec 02, 2021

Such a breath of fresh air. So real, so relatable, so fun, heartbreaking and meaningful. The actors are all amazing, we couldn't stop watching once we started!

• Aug 25, 2021

an amazing portrayal of real-life events. Tima did an outstanding job in directing and the actresses delivered their roles in the best way possible.

• Aug 23, 2021

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW I EVER SAW IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!! YOU WILL FEEL A LOT OF FEELINGS TROUGHOUT THE SHOW! LOVE IT

• Aug 20, 2021

I started watching Al Rawabi School for Girls purely due to my interest in film making and curiosity about this Jordanian production on Netflix. However, I was a bit hesitant at first because I thought this show was just another "teenage drama" which really isn't my cup of tea, and also because of the bad aftertaste left by the previous Jordanian Netflix production "Jinn". As such, it was a very pleasant surprise for me to find out that this show was much more than just a "teenage drama". This show provides very relevant and on-point social commentary on the Jordanian and Arab community, and, in addition to the universally relevant issue of bullying, it tackles a lot of the issues faced by girls and young women specifically in this part of the world. The story and dialogue are very well-written with three dimensional characters and shifting perspectives of right and wrong. This is all exemplified in the last episode and the build-up to the dark twist at the end of the series. The acting is decent (at least by the main cast), with a few sprinkles of well-delivered comedy that really hit home. The directing is excellent with outstanding cinematography (I don't think Amman ever looked better on film). The choice of soundtrack is excellent and features a collection of songs from independent artists all over the Arab world (I found myself listening to some of them on my Spotify a few days after I finished the show). All in all, I would definitely recommend watching Al Rawabi School for Girls. It is a very good and interesting watch, it also debuts a lot of promising new Jordanian talent.

• Aug 17, 2021

Amazing shows, mainly tackles the issue of bullying and its repercussions, but also highlights other issues that are prominent within the Jordanian society, such as nepotism, sexual harassment, mental health and the stigma that comes with it and even honor killings.

• Aug 12, 2021

An absolute masterpiece. This mini-series explores the harsh reality of bullying, incompetent and abusive authority figures (including teachers, parents, and older siblings,) and the impact it all has on school-aged girls in Jordan. The harsh realities painted are relatable to any girl who has been to school in Jordan. The show highlights the experiences of girls growing up in an extremely sexist and misogynistic society, where living in constant fear of violence or being killed by their own families is the norm. From being objectified and likened to a glass panel to being blamed for becoming the victim of sexual assault. A girl is called cheap for taking a selfie without a scarf. The label cheap is used frequently to belittle, dehumanize and objectify girls from a young age measuring them only by their willingness to explore their natural feminine and heterosexual feelings. This show does a brilliant job of showcasing the twisted priorities of Jordanian and Middle Eastern society when it comes to women's rights. The girls are broken at home and find themselves breaking each other in school before they even have a chance to grow up.