Covert Affairs: Season 4 Reviews

• Aug 29, 2016

Those looking for romantic entanglements will be delighted, those interested in quality storytelling may yawn just a bit. Convoluted storytelling trims down some characters to make room for new ones - and just like most soap operas, there's really no one to trust completely.

• Dec 13, 2013

The last episodes were intense, with Annie and Joan showing their steel selves. Excellent television.

• Nov 24, 2013

Darker more daring storytelling major character revelations, and a another season-long story arc that has a dynamic ending make this the series' best and smartest yet!

• Nov 24, 2013

BY far the best season of this CIA "girl next door" SPY series. Piper Perabo is not your run-of-the-mill actress, nor is she Meryl Streep, but she has a compelling style that's all her own and none of it plays on her obvious natural beauty. That's only a "perk" as she plays Annie "tough and smart" with a heaping helping of KICK-ASS on the side instead of anything resembling a Charlie's Angels type of performance (not that there's anything wrong with that, but Covert Affairs is another genre entirely), though Piper must pay homage to Charlie's girls for paving the way for a character like Annie Walker. USA loves to say, "Characters Welcome" and the network got it right when they green lighted Covert Affairs and took a chance on Piper Perabo. This season, the story of Annie Walker really evolved and viewers unfamiliar with past seasons and tuning in for the first time should have done their homework for a fully realized experience of Annie Walker in Season 4. The plot line or story was inextricably linked to one episode after another, so keeping up with the twist and turns of this "Spy vs. Spy" thriller was more crucial than ever. Well, that's what DVR's are for, right? For viewers that stayed in the loop (and there was a LOT going on), the ride was as thrilling as "Kingda Ka," the tallest roller coaster in the world. Covert Affairs was NOT filmed in Toronto, but "on location...all over the world," wherever the script demanded and no matter the cost. The term, "International Thriller" comes to mind and every one of the exotic locales was beautifully presented and filled with all the sights, sounds and iconic architecture of each fascinating city-no small feat for the USA Network and kudos to them for not using green screens and taking the road less traveled, a far more expensive route! The payoff, however, was worth it as the inherent danger in every episode was palpable. Our heroine was far away from the comfort (and support) of her friends, family and more importantly, Auggie (her good friend, turned "boy friend") and the CIA. Henry Wilcox , the determined bully of Covert Affairs and foe to Ms. Walker, even managed to demote all of the CIA operatives who supported Annie or provided any kind of reliable protection for her...but no, she was on her own in foreign country after foreign country, each one more isolated than the last...(fortunately, Annie speaks many languages with consummate ease). The writing really excelled this year and I found myself looking forward to each new episode. Am I "in love" with Piper Perabo? Well, probably, but even more with her character, Annie Walker, AND the writers of season 4. This is a TV Thriller with a capital "T" and a lead actress who's on a mission and knows how to play a super competent spy, both physically and mentally! Her antagonist (Henry Wilcox) was agonizingly good and terribly evil, leaving collateral damage everywhere when you least expected it. It wasn't the devil that made him do it, he was just plain mean and as power hungry as any character on television. And just when you thought his gig might finally end, the levels of corruption deepened, along with his ever-growing list of shady characters that were suddenly (or not) a part of his masterful plan. "Oh no...not him, too?" WTF? We weren't even sure about the Colombian station chief, Calder Michaels, who came into the CIA until well into the series, and even then, he managed to keep us wondering if he was a good guy or not? Scary stuff, indeed, and as I said, a really thrilling ride that was eventually tied up in one of the best season finale's on television, including a very DEAD (at last) Henry Wilcox, shot at point blank range by the bad ass herself...Annie Walker aka Jessica Matthews aka Piper Perabo! This series has gotten better every year and in 2013, the Covert Affairs team was in full flight for all of Season 4. If they can top this next season, Covert fans around the world will be in for a real treat and there's little doubt we all want more of Piper Perabo and the covert and overt operations at the CIA. No, it's not the greatest series ever, but it definitely has its place on television and Piper Perabo seems to have found the perfect niche for a "take no prisoners" acting style that beautifully combines street smarts, sophistication and a serious kick ass mentality, qualities that any self-respecting CIA operative should possess, especially if you're a woman (and dare I say pretty)? Piper Perabo rocks this role and she's supported by a equally talented cast of colorful characters that make her life and life in general at the CIA all too real, corruption and all....you know, that art imitating life thing? No surprise there, and maybe the infamous Valerie Flame was more like Annie Walker than not...before she was outed! But Annie only "went dark," (she even changed the blonde hair to brunette, no pun intended...was it)? Anyway, unlike Valerie, Annie gets to return to the CIA, though she's likely to be chastised by those who thought she went "rogue" and those who now harbor more than a little jealousy for this pretty spy coming in from the cold. Only the writers know what next season will bring, but I'm betting on Annie Walker to "bring it," as only she can do...and she'll keep it Covert-just the way I like it.

• Nov 22, 2013

I was a great fan of the first three seasons and was very disappointed with the start of the fourth season. In my opinion it turned into overly sappy, unrealistic plots that lost the realism of the first three seasons.

• Nov 22, 2013

I love the writing, character development, and Piper makes this show work!

I love the writing, character development, and Piper makes this show work!