Flaked: Season 1 - TV Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flaked: Season 1 Reviews

Dann Michalski
½ January 3, 2017
Will Arnett stars in the Netflix original series Flaked, a dark comedy about a group of miscreants who hang around Venice Beach. In Season 1 recovering alcoholic Chip befriends a local waitress with a dark secret and works to save the lease on his carpentry workshop. The show has a fairly good cast that delivers some strong performances: particularly Will Arnett and Ruth Kearney. Additionally, a couple of special guest stars are featured, including Heather Graham, Kirstie Alley, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Overall, the characters are rather fun and have a bit of mystery to them. However the writing is kind of weak; as it doesn't develop many of the supporting characters and leaves a lot of loose plot threads. Still, for a short 8 episode first season Flaked is entertaining and shows potential.
ed
½ March 22, 2016
I'm a bit conflicted by this show. All the characters have these flaws that I dislike, and keep repeating the same mistakes over and over, but I find myself rooting for them anyway. The story becomes very formulaic: secret revealed, fallout, reconciliation, another secret revealed, etc.. Nonetheless, a good cast, a great score, and short episodes keep me interested.
Mark Jones
March 20, 2016
Deliberately slow, the show builds a dark shadow lightened by comedy, friendship, altruism and community. It explores the depths of the personality of addiction. It has a Cheers-like quality (not to mention an episode featuring Kirstie Alley); Venice is the place where everybody knows your name. Chip is a complex character and there's not yet a clear verdict on whiether he is a folk hero or a serial liar with an angle on every situation. It's a complex and slightly heady show; I sure hope Netflix will bring us Season Two. Will Arnette and company have a winner that may never be a mainstream success, but likely produce a strong following.
April 9, 2019
Oddly ingrossing and yet i dont know why, loveable loser and his sad friends who otherwise wouldnt capture anyones attention but with a splash LA sun to glam it up. This show is charming and funny yet serious in places where its relatable to the 30s to 40 year old guys that stumble often
½
½
August 16, 2018
The premise of the show sounds interesting but it falls short in the last few episodes when something of actual value in terms of the plot happens. While the consensus ?dull and pointless? doesn?t especially fit the last few episodes of the show, it does for the ones before those. You could come into the show halfway in and not really miss much. The season had its moments in terms of comedy, which was refreshing. The acting is good and most of the characters were enjoyable. Going for 8 episodes and 30 minutes per episode was definitely what saved the season since there were fewer filler episodes.
August 11, 2018
This series is scarily real in recovery communities & should be better received than reflected on this site. It's well written and acted. Hyperbolic stereotypes like these characters actually exist and the moral development of recovering people is portrayed well. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
August 4, 2018
People hate this show because it's not PC. Boo hoo. Great show!
½ July 20, 2018
S1 is cool, slow and good for a blue mood. but don't watch S2, just end it at the first.
July 14, 2018
I'm not sure why all the negative reviews about this show. I guess the one reality to this is that most reviewers either haven't been through addiction, sobriety, or they are in denial.

As someone who has dealt with addiction, the show is spot on. Most addicts or alcoholics have what is called an Alcoholic mentality. Really it's when you are sober, but your insecurities, selfishness and other negative attributes are on full display. If you look at each character, you see their flaws and why they had an addiction issue. Currently I am in season one, and seeing the characters evolve and digress is a treat to watch.

The writing is great,
The character development is wonderful.

Will, you are doing a great job with this show and the struggles of the addictive personality. Though most don't relate, you are representing a segment of society that is ignored and shunned. Keep up the good work.