Gen: Lock: Season 1 Reviews

• Mar 14, 2019

Fantastic animation, Fantastic voice acting Great story. What more can you ask for you ask, SEASON 2....plz

• Mar 14, 2019

Best mecha series the world has seen in a long long time! This show does EVERYTHING right. If you're not watching, you're really missing out.

• Mar 12, 2019

You have GOT to love this show. If you don't... Well, then, heck with ya. Mindless fun for everyone, Mecha fights and destruction for the Anime geek in a lot of us, and a possible insight for our future combat!!!

• Feb 07, 2019

Thoughts up to Episode 3: It's definitely a 'fun' show to watch. That might come across as slightly passive-aggressive, and it's really not meant to be. There are aspects of the show I've really come to enjoy, however, I'm not entirely sure if the show knows where it wants to go as a series. It's fun, but being 'fun' isn't enough to solidify a show's purpose and justify a continued investment. For example, I'm really intrigued with the world they've set up. They've developed fancy mechs, nano-technology, and implants that are supposed to help enhance a person's biology. It's a futuristic version of America dealing with the threat of the ominous Union, but the more watch the show, the less information it gives you about the world itself. This can be fine, especially given a shows early start, but the focus needs to transition towards its characters. And while it does have some humorous interactions and set-pieces, I'm not sure where the show wants to take me with the characters they've introduced. In general, they each fill some standard (almost stereotypical) role, such as the genius-but-distracted/flippant scientist, the serious soldier, the overly-excited new recruit, the calm/reflective soldier, and so on. This is fine, but there needs to be some investment in a few of these characters, otherwise the struggle and overall journey they begin to undertake will be largely ignored as background noise. My biggest issue is that I haven't really connected with any of these characters, and if I'm not able for prioritize my general feelings for them, what else as an audience member can I rely on? I can already hear some of the critiques few people could level against the thoughts I've listed above, such as, "it's a new show - they haven't had enough time to develop characters or the world and you're judging it too harshly on those standards." That's a fair point, but my only response to this argument would be, "other shows have accomplished this (in a variety of ways with varying degrees of success) by the 3rd episode. They have a fun concept and great VA's in a setting I'm genuinely interested in following. However, given the vague direction they've taken characters and the overarching world, I'm not sure what I'm signing up for as an audience member and that feels like a bit of a misstep, especially given the talent that's found here, both on and behind the screens. Long story short? Good start, but the vague and safe storytelling found here leaves much to be desired. I'm looking forward to what comes in the future. I just hope that they start to take bold steps forward in the future because the foundation seems to be strong.