High Score: Miniseries Reviews

• Oct 17, 2020

Strange things. Everything has to be about identity an inclusivity for no reason. A boy that won 1st prize in an arcade game championship and turn to be trans woman later in his/her life. An lost LGQTB game, with few copies sold (there is a hint that one is found), a wife that played a text adventure (she is an adventurous person irl) and got an idea to make one of her own so she told her computer geek husband who proposed that it would be "nothing like before" if he added some graphics (and he did build the game). A lost (that was interesting and new to me) console that could play more than one game, using cartridges ―the first of its kind― made by a black man who worked in a place that ""no one else looks like him";" (eh? why is that relevant); also the first game, a football game, in 1995(!) to include black characters ―the "hardware till that time could not handle both blacks & whites guys" whaaaat !?!. Of course there where black characters in games long before that, can recall "one on one bball", "Danley Tompson decathlon" in 80's ..nba jam i thing was 1992-3..anyway, that was the last straw ―ican take id politics planted in a tech/computers/consoles/games doc, but i won't take that kind of bs. I watched 3½ episodes ... no

• Oct 13, 2020

This show would have been very interesting if it was really about computer games and not identity politics.

• Oct 10, 2020

This show sounded interesting, but it was more about identity politics than about games. It should have been labeled differently so as not to mislead viewers into expecting something it doesn't provide. It's a missed opportunity to delve into the nostalgia and innocent fun of these games, but the hectoring political viewpoint ruins all the fun.

• Oct 07, 2020

This Netflix documentary series is very good. The crew did a spectacular job in bringing the history of arcade and video games to life. It was well researched on how these popular video games were created and how they changed the way the careers of the designers. If you haven't seen this documentary series yet, check it out sometime. It's a must see. Don't listen to the bad reviews, those people have bad tastes.

• Sep 28, 2020

The best aspects of the documentary were focused on technological innovation and creativity (a la id software). The worst were forced social commentary that misses its marks.

• Sep 25, 2020

I enjoyed it. Just don't understand why it talks about some of the stuff it talks about. I felt like at times it just got off track. I came to learn about gaming. Otherwise I thought the intro was fun and the show is pretty good. I would recommend.

• Sep 03, 2020

This COULD have been 4 or even 5 stars if it focused on the games, the tech, and the creators in the industry. Instead it pandered to intersectional race and gay-tranny hurt feelings. if you want actual documentaries about the games, consoles, or the industry , search online. If you want gays and trannies complaining about ostracism, and the kids of a black genius speculating about how difficult it "must have been" for Pops to work in an industry where "no one else looks like him"; fine. Enjoy the group-cry for these "victims." Episode 3 was a far as I could take the whining and wanking. It's too bad; the parts that focused on the games, the tech challenges, and the tech industry were fascinating. What a waste.

• Aug 31, 2020

A surprisingly interesting series that tries to touch all aspects of video game history with all the nostalgic bells and whistles. The series starts really good and does not let up till about it's 3rd episode at which the series tries to get "political" (during which I felt a disconnect). Still a really really enjoyable watch for anyone with a gaming history or interest. It's production values are also top notch.

• Aug 27, 2020

First of all, there have been other documentaries that have covered similar material. Still, the documentary started out alright with everything leading up to the atari 2600. However, then strangely the documentary turns into social commentary about the LGQTB. Really? the viewer who has tuned in for a documentary about video games now gets introduced to the origins of "gay blade" ? Now, I wouldn't have a problem with that if there was a profound historical aspect to gay blade and the history of video games, but there isn't it's just an excuse to bring up the LGQTB community. So is this a documentary on the LGQTB community or video games? I don't need to know about a game creator who created a game about killing preachers. Take this documentary and shove it you know where.

• Aug 25, 2020

It had some highs but overall it was just 'ok'. My biggest gripes are that it was VERY heavy handed with the identity politics. It forcefully ensured all of the inter-sectional check-boxes were checked, and it just got old and was frankly distracting from the documentary. It really made no real sense to make sure we talk about as it had nothing to do with video game history. Just seemed like a strong arm attempt to hit all of the boxes while they had the podium. This documentary seemed to go off on side stories and focus heavily on the gaming championships rather than give us a deep dive history of video games. Also half the documentary is in Japanese with subtitles. I totally get that the Japanese are a big part of the story, but maybe dubbing would've been a smarter choice. Some scenes it seemed like reading the subtitles went on forever. And sometimes I like to be on the computer listening and watching and with the subtitles I can't do that. I wouldn't have minded but as I said some scenes were very long. While each episode of the 6-part story delves into a significant theme, it still felt superficial at best and I wanted to go deeper into the lore. Just not satisfying in that regard. There are better documentaries on Youtube.