Marvel's The Defenders: Season 1 Reviews

• Aug 24, 2019

While not truly equal to the sum of its parts (I'm a big fan of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daredevil- #sorrynotsorry Iron Fist), The Defenders is still a solid entry into Netflix's Marvel saga. It was about time they all met - honestly Claire, it took you long enough to make some introductions considering they always end up fighting the same people!! Sigourney Weaver is so great and Alexandra is a mysterious, twisted, and worthy villain - although there were times I wish the writers had given her dialogue equal to her talents. Where the writers excelled in the dialogue department was in the banter between our band of reluctant heroes. I think the best moment of the entire series is Luke Cage's dressing down of Danny Rand for his white privilege. That alone made choking down the first season of Iron Fist worth it. In the end the verbal barbs turn to genuine camaraderie and it feels natural. Although I was hoping for a Punisher cameo at least?? The Defenders mostly just got me excited for new individual seasons where Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daredevil really shine.

• Aug 09, 2019

It was a great show, but there were some things that was obvious and makes you question why it happened that way like when Matt Murdock got caught by Jessica Jones in the alley, he can hear heart beats and conversations from a far, but couldn't hear Jessica taking pictures, but otherwise a pretty great show.

• Aug 01, 2019

Really enjoyed this series, action packed, excellent story line, the New York back drop is excellently used and helps deliver an iconic atmosphere. Strong characters, loved Sigourney Weaver and Scott Glenn. The four lead 'heroes' were very believable and great incarnations of these characters.

• Jul 31, 2019

Decent team dynamic. This was better than any of the separate series except for Daredevil.

• Jul 08, 2019

you can say what you want about this show it does a great job at crossing over its characters and has that scene from alias comics where matt becomes Jessica lawyer you will not know what is going on if you have not seen the others it all connects im disappointed they did not involve the punisher

• Jul 06, 2019

Pretty lackluster compared to what it could have been. The action scenes aren't the best, the villains are kind of weird, and it starts to fall apart near the end. Where the show does best is the interactions between characters. Jessica's attitude meshing with how ridiculous Iron Fist is and with Daredevil almost being the leader for them, and then also with Luke Cage mixed in, you really get a good mix of character. The scenes where they are interacting make the show worth a watch, but it is nothing incredible.

• Jun 28, 2019

Alexandra is THE villain and the team up was great managed despite feeling simple sometimes. It's not the best superhero serie of all time, but it worths to see

• May 16, 2019

I couldn't count how many times I yawned while watching this series. I really love JJones and Luke Cage and it's my first time seeing the Iron Fist and... Dare Devil--which by the way is the only one who have the guts to wear his costume. It's ok for the first few episodes to have some yapping and explanations, but for the entire season that even up to that point that they keep on saying "there's no time" there's no time" and still freaking discussing whether they're going to bomb the entire building or not is really disappointing. How many more yappings and dialogues do they need before they take an action? Plus the "hand"... they claim to be immortals. Why do they bleed? why do they get sick? Coz in one of the scenes that Sigourney claimed that if they don't have the substance--which by the way they have already consumed to biring back Elektra to life-- will rot your physical body till you will be resurrected. Really? that part is really vague. I was expecting an all pack action and superpower show offs and your eyes will be glued once you started it. But damn! never been this bored watching Marvel's stories. To be fair, all the characters and actresses were really good especially the guy from Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. Luke and Matt's characters were somewhat low profiled but in the entire season, it looks like Matt is the leader and Jessica just seemed like an insert character with a dashing attitude. I was expecting more than just glowing fist, coz four strong heroes in one series? I was like "wow" but then "God..." I just couldn't help not to skip and fall asleep during the last few episodes coz it's totally BORING. Netflix keeps on bringing up big names and big characters on screen but they are not really that capable in funding the right production, casting the right writers with real sensible imaginations without too much dialogues just to prolong all the series and worse, they keep on cancelling shows. Maybe they need to reconsider and start hiring much more credible and experienced writers. More imagination please. People watch this for action. People watch their favorite heroes on screen not to watch documentary like talk show series. We want to see more effects, more blasts, more power and muscle. The story is so all over the place and the "hand triad" is like they are just a bunch of ninjas except for that old lady who only pushes for the energy, the black guy with the entire army? I mean... really? fire power for someone who's an immortal? and the curly haired guy who won't die, then the japanese ones that speaks his own language that everyone understands (which is really funny chinese and japanese?) and where's the power of Sigourney Weaver? She was betrayed by her own creation without even noticing that Elektra is already after something. Too much trust and emotions for someone who claims to be a villain and a powerful leader. Ppphhhffff.... The police woman character "Knight" her attire is like she's going on a club to dance or party. Not to report for duty. I don't want to go through all the mistakes and missed and haps of the scenes and stories. But I am already growing some phobias watching netflix series. Lol! Except Sta. Clarita Diet, the cast and crew are still pretty much in one and sticks thru the story. The only good thing that I can say about the Marvel series is that, they are multicultural. It seems like whoever created this isn't a big fan of super heroes and stuff. Too ordinary fightings and scenes and just the art of martial arts blah.

• May 05, 2019

4 boring people meet each other and then fight some bad guys, that's about it.

4 boring people meet each other and then fight some bad guys, that's about it.

• Apr 28, 2019

The polar opposite of the gleeful cinematic magic of 'The Avengers,' 'The Defenders' feels more like a burdened obligation to unite the heroes of Netflix's shows than a passionate celebratory crossover. Though it's shorter than its five preceding seasons at only eight episodes long, the uneventful slog is a chore to get through as it drones on without purpose or fun while squandering the previously frightening organization of the Hand (and Sigourney Weaver as its head!) with ultimately ridiculous, underwhelming motivations. The all too brief moments of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist (Danny is still a pretty awful character, though) teaming up barely make the miniseries watchable.