Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer: Limited Series Reviews

• 20h ago

This show is unique in that it primarily tells the story of a serial killer from the perspective of the detectives involved, who are surprisingly candid about the whole affair – from the giant egos and bravado involved in detective work to some giant mistakes that were made that arguably would have led to the night stalker's capture much earlier. At times it was almost hard to watch because so many murders took place after the mistakes, and the detectives seem less angry about that than about the actions of news people and politicians, which seemed much less consequential. But that's what makes the show interesting and raw – you are given enough info to make these judgments. The openness also lets you ponder the wisdom of some of the 1980s tactics of detective work, like being so secretive about the release of info to the public, particularly when info from the public turns out to be very useful. Finally, I did not know the story behind how the night stalker was captured, but man is it satisfying.

• 1d ago

I was so disappointed with this documentary... especially after the hype. There is so much to tell about this case. The complexity is immense! The series didn't touch on anything in detail, instead, glossed over everything, trying to fit it all into a few hours of viewing. The documentary makers don't get into the nitty-gritty of any of the crimes or the mind of the offendant. But for some reason think we are interested in the life of one of the detectives. We know his life history, family life, we even get interviews with his wife! (that rates a 0.0005% in my level of interest - she was not a direct contributor to the story). I wanted to know more about the offendant. What, how, why?!?! All who contributed to the show said he was pure evil, but you get none of that from the documentary other than their word for it. I actually said to my partner... if I was relying on the accounts shown to me on this show to prosecute... I wouldn't. It was very disappointing.

• 1d ago

Pretty good crime series

Pretty good crime series

• 2d ago

Nicely done but if you're going to make a 4 part series about catching a serial killer you should get the heroes right. LA clearly worked very hard but in the end it was the SF cops that got it done. They put the information out that led to the tip that got the name. Then they put the name out, against LA's wishes, that created the mob that ultimately captured Ramirez. LA also botched the dental office visit and finger prints on the first car. How many victims were there after the missed opportunity at the dental office? The cops in charge should have been all over that opportunity, regardless of the jurisdiction.

• 3d ago

Captivating, horrific and displayed the commitment, determination and sacrifice of law enforcement.

• 3d ago

This documentary series was very good. The entire crew did an excellent job of documenting the true story about the serial killer Richard Ramirez. It was very dramatic, dark, and shocking. Richard Ramirez is psychotic, delusional, and mentally unstable. He killed people because he believed that Satan told him to do it. That's a man with serious issues. If you're a Netflix member, you should check out this documentary series. It'll blow your mind.

• 3d ago

Good, not great. A little too much glorification of the gore.

Good, not great. A little too much glorification of the gore.

• 3d ago

This is one of the best true crime series I've ever seen on a streaming service. It is short enough to be accessible, but packed with enough information to provide a snapshot of what life was like in Los Angeles during the height of the Night Stalker's killing spree. The show makes use of a large group of witnesses, victims, victims' families, police officers, defense attorneys and prosecutors, and media figures to tell the story from several different angles; it also uses audio and video clips from news reports, the trial, and a private interview from jail with Richard Ramirez himself, which fills in any gaps in the interviewees' stories (and vice-versa). It also foregoes the trope of recreating murder scenes with actors, settling for subtler graphics-based recreations of murder scenes. This is refreshing. Unfortunately, the show is a bit too gory and includes some details that many viewers will likely find unsettling—too unsettling. Overall, this is a good watch and I recommend it to diehard fans of the genre, as well as those without weak stomachs.

• 4d ago

A very good documentary. Great story telling. I usually get bored watching these kind of documentaries however I loved the way this was filmed and the music is great really captured my attention. It's deffinetly worth a watch.

• 5d ago

As a career murder prosecutor, I found this series accurate, detailed and very well done.