Roots: Miniseries Reviews

• Mar 11, 2019

Favorite movie quotes - Joe Biden: "They're going to put y'all back in chains"

Favorite movie quotes - Joe Biden: "They're going to put y'all back in chains"

• May 22, 2017

a superb production and I believe this to stand equal to the original

a superb production and I believe this to stand equal to the original

• Aug 22, 2016

• Aug 16, 2016

great movie , loved every minute of it

great movie , loved every minute of it

• Aug 16, 2016

I have not yet seen the original roots but this remake was undeniably a masterpiece well done. Great and perfect casting, faithful to the original source material and evocatively true to its core. One of the best mini-series you will ever see.

• Aug 03, 2016

The moment it came on TV I was hooked. Absolutely amazing!

The moment it came on TV I was hooked. Absolutely amazing!

• Jul 25, 2016

One of the most powerful and disturbing mini-series I have watched recently, Roots is based on Alex Haley's book of the same name about his family's disturbing past through four generations of slavery. There were times — and so many of them — throughout the series that made me gasp and hold the table firmly to be able to see the violence and inhumanity being displayed in front of me. There were moments from the show that re-occurred in my dream and I woke up feeling miserable coming to terms with the terrible things man is capable of. The series also holds a mirror to America's violent past and so many of these undercurrents are still seen in today's society and American politics. Slavery is still not abolished completely from the world but the suffering of slaves and all the people associated with those times finds a resonance with this brilliantly made show.

• Jul 08, 2016

Now more than ever people should watch Roots and think about equality and freedom. Wonderful show, extremely poignant lessons.

• Jun 13, 2016

Excellent. Rivals the original series. Very intense. Important history lesson.

Excellent. Rivals the original series. Very intense. Important history lesson.

• Jun 11, 2016

So excruciatingly boring, I couldn't watch it.

So excruciatingly boring, I couldn't watch it.