The Newsroom: Season 1 Reviews

• Feb 04, 2019

One of my all-time favorite TV series. I love Sorkin's writing and this show is just on an entirely different level than all of his previous ventures in television (which I also really enjoyed - but even The West Wing is not of the caliber that The Newsroom is.) The cast - led by Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Thomas Sadoski, Allison Pill, David Harbour and Sam Waterston - is truly outstanding. It also features a number of great guest spots Damon Gupron, David Krumholtz and Terry Crews. The characters are beautifully drawn - the show is both inspirational and wildly funny. The speech Will McAvoy delivers in the pilot is just a masterpiece. The show is perfectly cast with characters I fell in love with almost immediately. My only disappointment in the show was that Sorkin let the media criticism of the first season get to him - and unfortunately, it resulted in the show moving in a less inspirational direction - and Sorkin is always at his best when he is tilting at windmills.

• Dec 10, 2018

Hammer hitting a cantaloupe.

Hammer hitting a cantaloupe.

• Feb 19, 2018

47%??? who are you peaople???

47%??? who are you peaople???

• Oct 22, 2017

Pretends to be a journey back to the sane from the frenzy of a polarized bipartisan America. When all I've seen are blatant jabs at a series of dimwitted caricatures from the Republican party. Wouldn't balanced criticize both sides? I don't adhere to either side but don't try to set the characters up as above the bipartisan squalor when its clearly just more of the same. Liberals (aka Sorkin) fueling the division America is already in. The acting is good, well written dialogue, but overall plot scheme and agenda have already bored me out of watching it. Had potential but clearly Aaron Sorkin doesn't want what Will McAvoy claims to be pursuing a "United" States of America.

• Aug 19, 2017

This is an inspirational show that is actually very relevant to the media today. The characters are very diverse and interesting. Each episode keeps you wanting more.

• Jul 27, 2017

I WOULD GIVE IT 5 STARS IF THEY WOULD GET THAT BLONDE GIRL'S SCRIP CHANGED. Annoying as hell. Jeff and the cast are great. So informative about past issues , things you were not aware of. Fast paced and well directed.

• Mar 06, 2017

One of the best shows ever

One of the best shows ever

• Dec 21, 2016

The Newsroom: Season 1 is created by Aaron Sorkin, and it stars Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, John Gallagher Jr., and Allison Pill in political drama about a news anchor who made an outburst about America being the greatest country in the world and made a speech about why it isn't. When that happened, people talked about for a long time that even Will McAvoy's (Jeff Daniels) staff acted differently towards him and most actually quit. So when Will's ex-girlfriend now works as his executive producer, the news would be different than what it was, and even McAvoy is up for actual news, even if it leads to problems in the future. I remember seeing the "America isn't the greatest country in the world" video a year ago at high school when my history teacher show us that, and during that time, I didn't know that it was a show, and that Aaron Sorkin wrote that, who is one of my favorite writers. So I watched the video here or there when I felt like it, I figured that I should just watch the show after watching Westworld. So I watched it, and actually enjoyed it. The casting in this is terrific, Jeff Daniels did such an amazing job in this that I honestly would not think of this actor in a role other then Will McAvoy except for a few exceptions like Dumb and Dumber. Emily Mortimer is great in it, and it's interesting to see John Gallagher Jr. without a beard nor a mustache. The characters are good and have a lot of funny moments, even if the main character can be a bit too mean-spirited at times. The dialogue is interesting to listen which is always thanks to Aaron Sorkin and other writer's writing in this. The arguments in this are compelling to watch, even though at times that it feels like characters are arguing just for the sake of arguing which makes you forget about what was even the context of the situation. The story is interesting, even though there were moments that weren't that investing and just felt random at times. The news that they come up are interesting which make me learn a bit more about what's going on, and it felt like I was actually watching the actual news, not a rehearsal of what it's like in the news. It also felt really preachy when it's trying to mean something, and add music that gives off more meaning to it, which is fine for some of it, but it does it more times than I want of it. The Newsroom: Season 1 isn't one of Aaron Sorkin's best works, but I really like what Aaron Sorkin has done for this show, and knowing the fact from critics that it gets better from season to season, I'm looking forward to see if that's true.

• Jul 30, 2016

A good show to watch if you are interested in media. Critics would hate it because most of critics here are from tabloid magazine and the show did not hesitate to mock them all.

• Jun 15, 2016

The critics are on crack. This show is wonderful.

The critics are on crack. This show is wonderful.