The Investigation: Season 1 Reviews

• Feb 15, 2021

Another brilliant way to brush up your Danish (and a bit of Swedish when Rolf Lassgård is talking). This series really give the viewer an insight into the agony of investigating officers. I loved the respectful interplay between Jens and the head of the diving unit; the respectful discussion with the Swedes about the benefits of cadaver dogs and the sheer despair when the dogs APPEARED not to come up to scratch ;and the relationship between Jens and the forensic guy and the prosecutor who needed absolute assurance of cause of death. As other critics have said, this was a slow burn and, considering the size of the Køge Bugt, I am still in total awe that they eventually, arduously, slowly, found the various body parts! The only bit I found unsatisfactory (and possibly edited down to almost irrelevance) was the Jens/daughter relationship-certainly communication among family members was severely wanting but surely Jens' desire to solve the case needed to be explained properly to Cecilie.

• Feb 15, 2021

Cool and forensic six-parter, acted with restraint and respect for the gruesome material, and often seeming to play out in real time. Where other directors might choose to conflate certain sequences, director Lindholm is focused on the procedural frustrations and reversals. Occasionally this becomes self-conscious and bathetic, but overall this is a fascinating and expertly made drama, and a fine tribute to journalist Kim Wall and her parents.

• Feb 11, 2021

I have watched the first 2 episodes of The Investigation. It is the most boring series I have ever watched in my 50+ years. Every character is overly boring, the way they speak, the way they act, and even move or walk. Everything about this movie screams SLOW as it drags and drags with boring characters. It has no action, no suspense, no comedy, nothing. The coolest thing in the show so far are the chief detective's 2 dogs, and they only show them for 4-5 seconds about twice per episode when he lets them out to use the bathroom. I know they are trying to make it as realistic as they can, but they went overboard. If the next (3rd) episode doesn't pick up the pace and give us something to be exited about, or make it more interesting, I don't think many people are going to tune in for another agonizing 50 minutes. I know I won't. If you like falling asleep while watching TV, then maybe The Investigation is for you.

• Feb 02, 2021

It may be better than I can appreciate--and I may be a troglodyte. However: I didn't realize it's in Danish, and how that would complicate an already complicated story or its telling. I'm not averse to foreign-language content, and love intellectual engagement but The Investigation demands inordinate focus, with little return on investment. The pace is sloth-like, the plot is detailed, complicated, even convoluted--and the net effect is Scandinavian dark and bleak. I couldn't immerse myself in it, given: (1) the complexities of the story itself, (2) the idiosyncratic mode of storytelling, (3) the Danish cultural nuances/references/differences at play (and wasn't able to parse out those vs. know what were simply intentional plot elements or quirks of characters since I have no clue about Denmark, its people, or the Danish criminal law system), and (4) the sounds of the Danish language in foreground and background (to me, totally unfamiliar) while needing to focus intently on the subtitles. Ultimately, I found it frustrating and too much work to be enjoyable or worthwhile. At best, it's not for everyday, casual, after-work viewing. At least for me. Critics I admire seem to love it, so you may too.