The Staircase: Season 1 - TV Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Staircase: Season 1 Reviews

Jeffrey Meyers
January 16, 2019
Very Good Docu-Series that was shot over 15+ years. I'm not sure if Michael Peterson is Innocent or Guilty, but I can tell you this is a powerful story. It shows you how flawed the judicial system can be and how the NC SBI ultimately dropped the ball with this case. It also shows does a great job just showing how people age over a 15 year period. He ages quite a lot due to the stress of everything and then his kids started the series in their late teens/early 20's and then are close to their mid-30s bye the end of the docu-series. It also tells a story of a man who is gay and during different times would never probably have even married a woman. I'm amazed at how much footage the filmmakers shot. It is definitely a long story, but does have a satisfying conclusion. Also, living in the Durham area it is amazing at how much Durham has changed over the course of 15 years, especially to the Downtown area. The one thing I really did care for was the over the top dramatic music score. It was was too loud and over powering at times.
½
½ October 4, 2018
The Staircase is a perfectly fine documentary series about a murder case that suffered from the prosecution's determination to get Michael convicted, regardless of what the evidence actually showed. There's nothing here many of us haven't seen before, but it's well done and shines a light on a key weakness in our justice system, as many other modern documentary series have done.