Twin Peaks: The Return - TV Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dann Michalski
½
½
November 5, 2017
What made the original series so special were its inhabitants. We grew to love the oddball personalities and unpredictable plot twists. The surreal undercurrent created an air if uncertainty and mystery.
Here, the surreal lay on the surface. The people that made the original shine and gave it a sense of grounding and narrative have become signposts. We sit through long stretches of interesting but fairly meaningless, quiet passages only to be occasionally rescued by a narrative blip on the map. The new Twin Peaks has been heralded as visionary and groundbreaking (again). As a lynch fan, he's been groundbreaking and visionary all along. I feel he lost his way in the new Twin Peaks. It's become so bloated and full of ideas that I'm not sure even he knows what anything really means. Wild ideas strewn about 18 hours with little cohesion or narrative structure made for a frustrating watch. In the end, I was often bored, blown away and frequently disappointed. I'm sorry to say as a longtime fan, I just didn't like it.