War & Peace: Season 1 Reviews

• Mar 11, 2019

I loved it. The acting, the pacing, the cinematography. It was great.

I loved it. The acting, the pacing, the cinematography. It was great.

• Jan 17, 2019

Excellent photography and acting; however, the miniseries strips all of the philosophy out of the film. It becomes just another pretty story with little to no philosophical substance. For an excellent version see the 1972 BBC series version with Anthony Hopkins. This is still the best version with some of the philosophy included.

• Nov 09, 2018

Thank you BBC for even trying this huge production. Some sad war scenes take the breath away. The cast, cinematography, clothes and horsey people, where great. Well done who ever signed off on this production.

• Oct 30, 2018

First half sort of ok but then the story turns ridiculous, followed by hours of soppiness. The story itself is simply dated and silly.

• Feb 04, 2018

All's fair in love and war! SEASON 01: The war and wealth, the romance and deceives, the fictional Russia of the 1800s. First of all I've never seen the series or film adapted from theis book. This is my first version of any format. So it's high excitement time, since I like Leo Tolstoy works. It did not disappoint me. The BBC had done it again. Yep, another wonderful adaptation. Great casting and shot in location, or to say the graphic works were done wonderfully. Nice costumes show as well, in the original Russian classic style. It starts with war and ends with the same. Surrounded by lots of historical figures. Basically, it's about five royal class families. How their lives turn out during the Russian war against the Napoleon's France. Focused on the younger generation who are about to take over everything from their elders. So they have to decide, very big decision that's going to change their lives and the nations forever. The romance is also the part of the tale. Being very rich or about to lose their wealth, they have to find true love. But in some cases, the love is a game plan for a better future. So there's deceive and cheats involved. Patriotically, and sentimentally the tale unfold, where the Russian fate hangs. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but one thing that bothered me was the English adaptation. Imagine if it was entirely in Russian with subtitles, that would have been so awesome. Particularly that sound of the language and musics and locations, all would have matched so perfectly. In the poster, Lily James in the front, but that's done for the marketing purpose, because of her popularity among other cast. While watching the series it was a different experience. A well balanced characters, lots of things happened, like that takes us to the real 19th century. One of the best periodic drama which overwhelmed by war and romance theme. I think it is a muse see. 8/10

• Oct 04, 2017

I find this version very rewatchable & more immersive than most. I usually save Barry Lyndon for special occasions (no more than once a week), and I also indulge Russian Ark often. This, Amadeus, & Marie Antoinette scratches that itch in between.

• Aug 31, 2017

Your average, pretty good British period drama.

Your average, pretty good British period drama.

• Jun 06, 2017

Visually dazzling and even better acted, W&P is a really engrossing period drama. Though some may find the pace slow, the series is very deliberate; it never meaders.

• May 30, 2017

Worst serial ever. Don't waste your time

Worst serial ever. Don't waste your time

• Apr 12, 2017

Never has a TV show made me feel so deeply. An absolute masterpiece.

Never has a TV show made me feel so deeply. An absolute masterpiece.