Wild Wild Country: Season 1 - TV Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Wild Country: Season 1 Reviews

Philip Price
July 9, 2018
I understand the idea the Rajneeshees weren't the best neighbors and that there was frustration in the disruption they brought with them, but what struck me most about this engulfing six-part documentary is the fact of how hateful and intolerant the people of the United States were towards their fellow man simply because they didn't understand this alternative way of life and thus feared it and the people who chose to conduct themselves in accordance with these teachings.

This isn't to necessarily be in defense of the Rajneeshees either, as brothers and directors Chapman and Maclain Way are sure to highlight the more sinister facets of those that came to devote so much of their lives to this mysterious spiritual leader as either he or those he appointed to be the leaders of this experiment that gets carried out in small town Oregon clearly manipulated the love for this ma and a community in order to do harm.

Do I wish the brothers Way might have provided more concrete answers to the multitude of questions they pose? Of course, but by having access to and collecting multiple contemporary eyewitness accounts it's easier to glean where the sincerity meets that unpleasant emotion most often caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous. In the end and with much perspective, it's surprising whose souls feel the most, liberated might be a poor choice of words here, and so we'll go with...saved.
½ September 20, 2018
Deserved the Emmy. Don't read about it until you finish the series. Fascinating story that reminds us all cults have both good and bad traits, and freedom of religion can't possibly be unlimited, if the religion includes starting a war.