Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: Season 2 Reviews

• Apr 05, 2021

We absolutely loved season 1. Somewhere, somehow, season 2 has spiraled down to an unwatchable mess. The musical numbers are fewer and further between... less innovative or interesting, and the characters and plot lines are forced and contrived. We went from loving it, to absolutely hating it. I've never seen a show lose it's way so quickly. Too bad.

• Mar 30, 2021

I loved season one, binging the entire thing over an entire day... so as you can imagine I was excited that a season 2 was announced. I don't generally rate shows, because I pretty much enjoy everything I watch... but season has been going from bad to worse. They sacrificed all the story and character development they had built up, to preach at you about social issues. It was honestly insulting to watch. For example, in episode 6&7 the entire story is about racism, and Zoey is trying to talk to her friend, who has always been there to offer her advice every episode, and suddenly her friend is like, you only want my advice because I'm black, and that makes you racist, so I don't want you in my life. It's just so out of character for her. Her character exists entirely to give advice, and suddenly she doesn't want to hear anything? Where did this even come from? It's jarring. Every character just becomes black or white, and that is their only trait. They don't behave like themselves, and it's like watching a weird black mirror episode. You keep watching, like when's it going back to normal? What about the nightmares zoe was having? What about the death of her father and dealing with Greif? What about the productivity of the company and her new promotion? Why are all the characters only talking about racism now? They weren't even really doing the songs anymore towards the end. I want to to know, what tumbler/twitter hell they pulled the writers for this season out of, and how we can send them back.... I'm giving up on this show now. It's sad to have something good ruined this way.

• Feb 27, 2021

This show went from a great refreshing show in season one, with lots of laughs To let's tackle every social issue and makes almost every show depressing

• Feb 15, 2021

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of Zoey. It was at times cheesy, but it was also endearing, heartwarming, and relatable in a lot of ways, as it dealt with so many different feelings: those of love, those of fear of losing a loved one, those of anxiety and stress, and so many more. But it also managed to keep it somewhat upbeat for the most part. With that being said, the second season was disappointing from the very first episode. I expected there to be a theme of grief over the season, but that's not what has put a damper on the show. It's already lost it's heart. The music isn't there in the same capacity, and save for a couple of numbers, did not really make me feel like they elevated the storyline like the prior season managed to do so well. Also the tired trope of a love triangle is getting tiresome, because it has been such a big focus since the beginning of the series. The only difference is there's now another player, possibly setting up for a love... square?.... The critics may have rated it better, which I don't get, but hopefully the show writers will see the audience reviews are worst for this season and listen to them before it's too late to save the show. The show overall has promise, a great cast, and a fun and unique premise. This season is not a really spotlighting any of the show's highlights.

• Feb 14, 2021

Season 1 was so fresh and had so much heart. The characters were complicated -both in themselves and their relationships. I sent a text on my family group chat, telling everyone to watch it. With Season 2, I wonder if I need to retract that recommendation. We've lost two central characters, and in their place has arrived the company founder who made cameos in Season 1. He is intended to be a caricature of dot com founders, but he is so unrealistic and insufferable that he cannot possibly fill the loss of the two heart- and humor-driven characters from Season 1. Zoey's trajectory has also lost its footing. With Max and Simon both sidelined, her interactions increasingly focus on the whacky, entitled founder, and (spoiler) having been promoted at age 29 to Exec. Dir. of the 4th Floor ... we've crossed over to the unbelievable. And thing about super powers is, for us to really enjoy them, we have to believe in the world in which they exist. Everything unrelated to those powers has to be firmly rooted in reality. Unfortunately, by S2 E6, the show has left reality. In what ultimately felt like an effort to cash in on the recent racial reckoning, E6 centers the struggle of being POC in a white-dominated world. The episode does bring up some real issues to consider, and it blessedly does not let millennials off the racism and micro aggression hook. But its problems are many. First, all racial tension seems to have been resolved in one episode. Everyone wakes up, interracial friendships are restored, the board of directors commits to diversity, and we end with Simon saying he is "relieved". And that entire end scene with Simon? It's shot in a room full of POC characters plus two white characters: Max and Zoey. And who is in EVERY SINGLE FRAME with Simon? Zoey. It was such an odd (asleep) choice for the director, one has to hope they were called out for it. What was Zoey doing in those shots?! Could we not have centered Simon, given what the episode was trying to do? It ultimately made the E6 feel virtue signaling at best and opportunistic at worst. Dear Zoey writers and directors, like Zoey, you have lost your footing. Please get back to complicated, heart-led, funny characters. Please continue the thread of waking up to racism at work; that is meaty material and a battle that will long outlive the number of seasons this show airs. All the while, please keep the fabulous singing and dancing. It's so well done; don't mess with it!

• Feb 11, 2021

It's so depressing and she is now just anxiety ridden. It lost everything that the first season had. Can't watch it anymore.

• Feb 11, 2021

I give up, the show was cute fun and full of emotion at the start. Now it is lost that cuteness and just preachy and all the aspects I liked are gone.

• Feb 05, 2021

It's still just Glee for adults. Skylar Astin can't do anything, except look doe-eyed at his crush and sing. NBC would be singing a different tune if 70% of the show wasn't ripping off other artists work.

• Jan 22, 2021

season one was fresh, funny, touching, romantic and sweet with a lot of great singing and dancing. season two, so far, is depressing, unfunny, angry, boring and dark. There is barely any singing or dancing, her quirkiness has been replaced with anxiety and there's no sexual tension left. I sure hope it gets better.

• Jan 20, 2021

Annoying and frustrating. The show is not like a musical that uses music to accent the story, Zoey relies entirely on its music to deserve any watch value. The story would be terrible without the music and the music this season is not up to par. The characters are now mean and the world painted is cynical no matter what the over bright lighting encourages you to believe.