Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Sign up here
Got more questions about news letters?
Already have an account? Log in here
and the Terms and Policies,
and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes and Fandango.
Please enter your email address and we will email you a new password.
No user info supplied.
A paint-by-numbers biopic with no tension, conflict, or character development. I kept thinking: frictionless. It's slick, the period details will appeal to hipsters and geezers alike, but there's no suspense or any real stakes. It's all just a gaudy put-on, a trite re-enactment populated by caricatures and riddled with cliches. No real laughs, either, except for the brief clips of the original Dolemite film shown at the end. It's a story that deserves to be told, but a straight documentary would probably do it better. Either that or a more probing character study of Rudy Ray Moore. This one rings hollow as canned laughter.
Lifeless retread of a classic lacks wit or suspense. Like when some cheesy pop band covers a cherished punk anthem. Director was previously known for making commercials and it shows--quick cuts and superficial action with a veneer of polished visuals to sell you something you don't need. Instead of building tension this rushes from one exploding head to the next until it culminates in a string of highly repetitive propane tank explosions (interspersed with more exploding heads). The gore in Romero's original punctuated the horror whereas here it's the meat of the matter. Some points are telegraphed well in advance (OMG, a pregnant woman--think we'll see a zombie baby?) while other potentially suspenseful sequences seem entirely omitted, as when six survivors in a truck outside are transported to safety inside in the literal blink of an eye jump cut. Senseless action, illogical choices (even for a horror movie), and a bloated cast of characters with little to zero individual identity. Weirdly, the best part of this movie is the opening pre-credits sequence, then inexplicably the resolution is presented in spasms during the closing credits. The whole thing feels rushed. This movie might actually make you dumber by lowering your standards. Stick with the original.
Not good enough to be good, not earnest, singular, or original enough to be "so bad it's good." Cheesy FX give it a 1970's made for TV disaster movie feel, but it's a little too cheeky and self-aware to be interesting with intentional attempts at humor that simply fall flat. Derivative in almost every way, the wink wink Jaws references are lazy and the chainsaw finale is lifted straight out of Peter Jackson's Bad Taste. Amusing premise with a couple of stand-out scenes (the Ferris wheel bit was genius, but maybe that idea is also ripped off from somewhere else?) but nothing I would ever want to see again. Not funny enough for parody, not suspenseful enough to create tension, the action is a mess, and the characters are flat, unappealing, and often unintentionally annoying. This movie tries to mock suck but in the end it just really sucks.
Two out of five stars for the 40% of the film that is actually visible; the other 60% of night scenes are literally shots in the dark where the action, let alone which characters are involved, is completely indistinct. Like Birdemic, there's a lot of filling up gas tanks in this movie. The plot involves the Devil's Advocates biker gang pissing off some Satanists whose lovingly rendered ritual seems to have been effective in bringing structure and purpose to the bikers' otherwise chaotic lives. There are werewolves, but how they come to be isn't exactly clear. After the Satanists exact their revenge, it's time for the bikers to exact their revenge, but they come armed with sticks and tire irons to an amulet and pentagram fight. WoW makes me nostalgic for the 1970s. Life was simpler then.
This movie might just persuade you of the infinite power of cyberjesus. Greedy businessmen and corrupt politicians beware! Neil Breen has got your number....