The Hitcher (1986)
Average Rating: 5.7/10
Reviews Counted: 32
Fresh: 19 | Rotten: 13
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 4
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 3
Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 43,327
Pretty boy actor C. Thomas Howell stars in this dark, violent suspense film about the strange psychological bond between a traveling serial killer and one of his intended victims. Driving cross-country from Chicago to San Diego, Jim (Howell) narrowly avoids an accident when he falls asleep at the wheel. He picks up a hitchhiker to help stay awake, but within five minutes, the erratic John Ryder (Rutger Hauer) has threatened not only Jim's life, but also his manhood, brandishing a switchblade to
Jan 1, 1986 Wide
Jun 8, 1999
Home Box Office (HBO)
Watch It Now
C. Thomas Howell
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Billy Green Bush
John M. Jackson
Jon Van Ness
Jophery C. Brown
Stunt Sheriff #2
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
A highly unimaginative slasher that keeps the tension going with a massacre about every 15 minutes.
It's a highly competent sick-fright version of the evergreen chase formula.
Mr. Hauer, who has reportedly vowed not to play any more villains or crackpots, is probably making the right decision, if this is any measure of the sort of role that comes his way.
Feature debuts don't come much better than director Robert Harmon and screenwriter Eric Red's sleek, dream-like thriller about a naïve college boy who crosses paths with devil in the flesh after taking a wrong turn on some lost highway.
A partir de um conceito simples, o diretor cria tensão e transforma seu vilão (muito bem vivido por Hauer) em uma figura quase alegórica.
Rutger Hauer is so menacing as the title fiend that you'll never pick up a hitchhiker. An absolutely relentless horror-thriller.
This film is the reason Rutger Hauer is still a name that movie fans know.
Hauer's lunatic performance is the only thing that keeps The Hitcher from completely running off the road.
Pretty nifty little thriller that falters at the end.
Effective '80s horror movie. A relentless villain and some horrific scenes.
It's like a sadistic version of Duel, instead of a semi you get Hauer in all his creepy manic splendor.
Fairly effective little thriller.
A gruesome cult classic.
Creepy, moody, implausible and impossible to take your eyes off of.
Audience Reviews for The Hitcher
Movies Like The Hitcher
- Jim Halsey: What do you want?
- John Ryder: I want you to stop me.
- John Ryder: Gas stations have cigarettes.
- Jim Halsey: What about gas?
- John Ryder: I don't need gas.
- Jim Halsey: What do you want? What's so funny?
- John Ryder: (stops Laughing) - That's what the other guy said.
- Jim Halsey: What other guy?
- John Ryder: That guy back there, the one we just passed. The guy who picked me up before you did.
- Jim Halsey: That was him in there?
- John Ryder: Sure it was. He couldn't have walked very far.
- Jim Halsey: Why's that?
- John Ryder: Because I cut off his legs, and his arms, and his Head. And I'm going to do the same to you.
- Jim Halsey: (yelling to the family driving in a car beside his; after seeing the Hitcher in their backseat) - Hey! Pull over! Pull over! The guy in your car's a nut! That guy's a fu*king nut in your car! Pull over! That guy will kill you! That guy, get him out of your car!
- John Ryder: (John leaps into the police truck that Jim is driving) - Hi kid!
- John Ryder: You wanna know what happens to an eyeball when it gets punctured? Do you got any idea how much blood jets out of a guy's neck when his throat's been slit?
- Jim Halsey: (trying to get policemen to help untie Nash from between two large trucks) - Why don't you do something?FUCKING DO SOMETHING!
Discuss The Hitcher on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Hitcher
May 4, 2011:Five Favorite Films with Rutger Hauer
In a busy career tracing back to the late 1960s, Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has carved out a unique...
November 24, 2006:Trailer Bulletin: "The Hitcher"
Complain all you want (and I've been doing it a lot), but early next year there WILL be a remake of...
October 6, 2006:Like Horror Remakes? Get Ready for a Bunch More.
Professional remake house Platinum Dunes and Universal's genre arm (Rogue Pictures) have signed a...