A Room With A View (1986)
Average Rating: 8.5/10
Reviews Counted: 23
Fresh: 23 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.9/5
User Ratings: 23,312
Adapted by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala from the novel by E.M. Forster, A Room with a View is a shining example of Merchant-Ivory's ability to achieve maximum quality and opulence at minimum cost. Set during the Edwardian Era, the film stars Helena Bonham Carter as Lucy Honeychurch, who like all proper young British ladies is compelled to tour Europe in the company of an older chaperone -- in this instance, her spinster cousin Charlotte Bartlett (Maggie Smith). While in Italy, the ladies make the
Dec 1, 1985 Wide
Jul 4, 2000
Watch It Now
Helena Bonham Carter
The Cockney Signora
Sir Harry Otway
Santa Croce Guide
Luigi di Fiore
The New Charlotte and L...
A Room With a View is not only uncharacteristically benign for Forster, but also blithely, elegantly funny, which is a fit description of [this]first-rate film adaptation...
It is an intellectual film, but intellectual about emotions: It encourages us to think about how we feel, instead of simply acting on our feelings.
Merchant Ivory's first artistic and commercial hit is a light, well-acted, nicely mounted comedy of manners based on Forster's classic novel; Daniel Day-Lewis steals all of his scenes
James Ivory directs this gentle, poetic, comic film with grace and passion for its characters in this adaptation of the E.M. Forster novel.
t's hard to believe A Room with a View cost so little; the costumes and sets are dazzling and the acting is superb -- from two-time Oscar-winner Smith to the smallest role, there's not a false note.
Audience Reviews for A Room With A View
- Mr. Beebe: If she ever takes to living as she plays, it will be very exciting-both for us and for her.
- Mr. Emerson: But you have been lying to everyone... including yourself.
- Charlotte Bartlet: I shall never forgive myself.
- Lucy Honeychurch: You always say that, Charlotte. And then you always do forgive yourself.
- Lucy Honeychurch: I dont want to be a Leonardo I want to be myself!
- Mr. Emerson: There's only one thing impossible - that's to love and to part.
- Freddy Honeychurch: I say! That's an introduction. 'Come and have a bathe'!
There are no discussion threads for A Room With A View yet.
Latest News on A Room With A View
April 4, 2013:Ruth Prawer Jhabvala: 1927-2013
The award-winning novelist and screenwriter has passed away at the age of 85.
- Zimmer mit Aussicht (DE)