Average Rating: 6.8/10
Reviews Counted: 62
Fresh: 39 | Rotten: 23
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 6.2/10
Critic Reviews: 19
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 11
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.2/5
User Ratings: 200,994
The search for life outside our solar system becomes a personal and spiritual quest for a young researcher. Ellie Arroway (Jodie Foster) is a scientist who lost her faith in God after her parents died when she was a child. However, Ellie has learned to develop a different sort of faith in the seemingly unknowable: working with a group that monitors radio waves from space, Ellie hopes that some day she will receive a coherent message from another world that will prove that there is a world beyond
Jul 11, 1997 Wide
Dec 16, 1997
Warner Home Video
Watch It Now
David St. James
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Something like one of those mysterious asteroids that get the astronomers all worked up: a large body of gaseous matter surrounding a relatively small core of solid substance.
When it's good, it's very good. And when it's not, it can be as silly and self-important as a bad '50s sci-fi movie.
Like Jodie Foster's hopeful space voyager in the picture, "Contact" may not travel quite as far as it hopes to go, but the trip is worth taking nonetheless.
Begins with a big bang, gradually falls into a lull and finally succumbs to entropy.
Features heavy-handed exposition, repetitive, maudlin flashbacks, uneven performances and endless sermonising.
Uma ficção científica que confere peso semelhante aos dois termos do gênero: se sua narrativa ficcional é intrigante e bem desenvolvida, sua ciência jamais se entrega ao implausível.
No wonder the astronomer's philosophy of contact boils down to this: Don't call me, I'll call you.
With all the science and technology, Zemeckis and the writers made room for spiritual debates (some of them painfully slight), political commentary, and a strangely tepid and inert romance...
When Contact finally comes alive, it leaves you frightened and thrilled and emotionally overwrought, as only a child can be. The rest is pandering.
Foster's voyage is an astronomical letdown, largely because Zemeckis' ideas of heaven and earth don't extend beyond what can be envisioned as a celluloid event.
By hating the two-dimensional villain ... the audience feels they have found 'the bad guy' and aren't challenged to consider the flimsiness in Arroway's or Josse's perspectives.
The story doesn't always do justice to the mind-bending visual opening of Robert Zemeckis' movie, which features Jodie Foster as an annoyingly intense scientist.
Even the computer generated graphics are a bad fit.
Audience Reviews for Contact
Movies Like Contact
- S.R. Hadden: [over video feed from Mir space station] I wanna show you something. [shows satellite feed to Ellie] Hokkaido Island.
- Ellie Arroway: The systems integration site.
- S.R. Hadden: Look closer. [zooms satellite feed to reveal second machine] First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price? Only, this one can be kept secret. Controlled by Americans, built by the Japanese subcontractors. Who, also, happen to be, recently acquired, wholly-owned subsidiaries...
- Ellie Arroway: [speaks with Hadden] ... of Hadden industries.
- S.R. Hadden: They still want an American to go, Doctor. Wanna take a ride?
- S.R. Hadden: [to Arroway in the tone of Hannibal Lecter] Clever girl.
- Kent: Dr. Arroway will be spending her precious telescope time listening for... uh... listening for...
- Ellie Arroway: Little green men.
- Palmer Joss: You could call me a man of the cloth, without the cloth.
- Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there's people on other planets?
- Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.
Discuss Contact on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Contact
April 10, 2008:Kim Newman on... The Terrornauts
RT Obscura, the exclusive column by renowned critic Kim Newman, sees the writer plumbing the depths...
April 12, 2007:"Order of the Phoenix" Screenwriter Sits Down for a Chat
When you're the screenwriter stepping in to Chapter Five when a different guy wrote Chapters One...
April 7, 2006:Potter 5 Claims a Release Date
Omar at JoBlo's informs us that the fifth Harry Potter flick, entitled Harry Potter and the Order of...