Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, the Wrath of God) (1972)
Average Rating: 8.9/10
Reviews Counted: 32
Fresh: 31 | Rotten: 1
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 4.2/5
User Ratings: 22,709
The most famed and well-regarded collaboration between New German Cinema director Werner Herzog and his frequent leading man, Klaus Kinski, this epic historical drama was legendary for the arduousness of its on-location filming and the convincing zealous obsession employed by Kinski in playing the title role. Exhausted and near to admitting failure in its quest for riches, the 1650-51 expedition of Spanish conquistador Gonzalo Pizarro (Alejandro Repulles) bogs down in the impenetrable jungles of
Dec 29, 1972 Wide
Oct 24, 2000
New Yorker Films
This is a splendid and haunting work.
An essential hallucination, subsequently mined by Coppola, Weir and Malick but unsurpassed in its vision of the withering yet liberating madness beneath our armor
This 1972 German film eschews narrative for hallucinatory images and long takes that plunge you into the whirlpool of the main character's madness. It's less storytelling than a visually disturbing fever dream.
Potheads who watch this will probably check their stash the next morning to see if any of it's gone.
A seminal film without which we almost cerainly would not have with us either Apocalypse Now or much of the ouevre of Terence Malick.
A saga of adventurers driven headlong into annihilation by their own hubris and desire for immortality.
Takes us into a visually stunning and surreal Heart of Darkness adventure.
There is a lingering voodoo in the movie that never lets you forget the folly of man's puny sins against a dark universal order of which insanity, sickness, and death are the inevitable symptoms.
[A]n anti-epic about European conquest that, while based in part on ... an ill-fated historical expedition, is as macabre as a Poe story.
It's a testament to the genius of Aguirre: The Wrath of God that its genesis has spawned its own creation mythology.
Extraordinary adventure in the Andean jungles
Audience Reviews for Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, the Wrath of God)
- Don Lope de Aguirre: If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the Wrath of God! The earth I walk upon sees me and quakes! But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches. But whoever deserts...
- Brother Gaspar de Carvajal: You know, my child, for the good of our Lord the Church was always on the side of the strong. What's the priest's point, and what was his interest in continuing with the expedition?
- Don Fernando de Guzman: All the land to our left and all the land to our right now belongs to us. I solemnly and formally take possession of all this land. Our country is already six times larger than Spain, and everyday we drift makes it bigger.
- Don Lope de Aguirre: Have you seen any solid ground that would support your weight?
- Don Lope de Aguirre: I, the wrath of God, will marry my own daughter and with her I'll found the purest dynasty the earth has ever seen.
- Don Lope de Aguirre: I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches.
- Don Lope de Aguirre: That man is a head taller than me. That may change.
There are no discussion threads for Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, the Wrath of God) yet.
Latest News on Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, the Wrath of God)
February 4, 2011:Herzog Wants Naomi Watts for Queen of the Desert
Naomi Watts is Werner Herzog's choice to star in his upcoming "Queen of the Desert," a drama about...
July 26, 2007:Critical Consensus: Woo-Hoo! Simpsons Is Certified Fresh; No Reservations Is Bland; Rescue Dawn Shines
This week at the moves, we've got America's favorite family in their long-awaited big-screen debut...
- Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (DE)
- Aguirre, The Wrath of God (UK)