Around the Bend (2004)
Average Rating: 4.9/10
Reviews Counted: 95
Fresh: 27 | Rotten: 68
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.8/10
Critic Reviews: 32
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 24
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 4,718
Four generations of an American family are brought together by difficult circumstances while facing some unpleasant truths in this drama. Henry (Michael Caine) is an elderly man in failing health living in a small town in the Southwest, where he's cared for by his live-in nurse (Glenne Headly). As Henry's condition grows worse, he's joined by his son Turner (Christopher Walken), his grandson Jason (Josh Lucas), and his great-grandson Zach (Jonah Bobo). As the four men deal with Henry's illness,
Oct 8, 2004 Wide
Feb 22, 2005
Warner Independent - Official Site
Watch It Now
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
In the end Around the Bend isn't an awful movie. It's merely forgettable.
A sentimental journey, to be sure, but is saved by bleakly humorous moments.
In Michael Caine and Christopher Walken and Josh Lucas, [Roberts has] surrounded himself with a first-rate cast who, with one exception, seize the day.
Walken manages to deliver something pure and heartfelt here. Unfortunately, he's doing so in a film weighed down by coincidences and quirks.
Seems to think it's extra-crunchy, but winds up a pretty regular affair.
Michael Caine and Christopher Walken breath spirited life into debut writer/director Jordan Roberts' road trip of family bonding in this independent movie with a big heart.
...in many ways the softer scenes have more punch to them than any of the emotional confrontations or dramatic revelations
An unusual, oddly satisfying film that's part road movie and part emotional drama.
Oozes sentimentality for the plight of these mildly eccentric characters... The problem isn't the film's gooey center but the flavorless, formulaic substance surrounding it.
There's not much happening even when the viewer eventually gets around the bend.
The film is not quite the deep drama or outrageous comedy it tries to be, but an engaging little story nonetheless.
... a student film that benefits from the participation of solid professionals.
O diretor e roteirista estreante exibe um autêntico desespero em emocionar o público com os personagens e tom tipicamente "indies", mas o resultado é simplório e entediante.
The film is a modest vehicle for large talents and should have earned its funding as a matter of product placement.
At times it almost feels as if the movie is making fun of itself, acknowledging just how familiar and overdone most of this material is.
Roberts lets his actors run loose, leading to such embarrassments as Caine's unidentifiable accent or Glenne Headly's turn as Henry's Danish * nurse.
Technically a motion picture, Around the Bend is essentially an advertisement for Kentucky Fried Chicken. It also happens to be mind-numbingly cloying.
How does a film like this get national distribution when dozens of films exactly like it wallow in Sundance obscurity, never to see the light of day outside Park City?
This is the male equivalent of the chick flick. It could have been titled Divine Secrets of the Da-Da Brotherhood.
Audience Reviews for Around the Bend
- Turner Lair: Goin' to the rock.. It's where you come from. The woman I made love with on that rock... was your mother.
- Jason Lair: Why did Henry send us here, Turner?
- Turner Lair: Spite...
- Jason Lair: No, he sent us here so I could forgive you. That's all my post-it said was, "Forgive him." What am I forgiving you for, Turner? Huh? What am I forgiving you for?
- Turner Lair: What happened here... there's no forgiveness. ...I'm, i'm not even that person anymore.
- Jason Lair: What happened on the stairway, Turner? Just tell me, what happened on the stairway?
- Turner Lair: You were not in the car.
- Jason Lair: What?
- Turner Lair: With your mother. You were never in a car accident.
- Jason Lair: What'd you do? Did you drop me? Is that it? You get fucked up? You get fucked up and you dropped me?
- Turner Lair: Fucked up? I WAS GONE!
- Jason Lair: Just... say it! Say it! Say it! You dropped me! Say it.
- Turner Lair: No... no. No! NO! Nobody dropped you! ..GET IT? ....I threw you, kid. I threw my boy.. I threw my boy.
- Jason Lair: You called me TENSE!
- Turner Lair: You called me a THIEF!
- Jason Lair: You WERE a thief!
- Turner Lair: You were tense. You still are.
- Turner Lair: She was.. My breath. When she died, I had no.. Breath, anymore. You understand?
Discuss Around the Bend on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Around the Bend
January 12, 2006:Critical Consensus: A Regal "Holiday," A Well-Trodden "Road," A Tepid "Tristan"
This week at the movies brings us films about a risk-averse woman cutting loose ("Last...