Average Rating: 4.2/10
Reviews Counted: 24
Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 17
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 2
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 70,317
Based on a novel by Iris Rainer Dart, Beaches traces the 30-year oil-and-water friendship between free-spirited Bronx Jew CC Bloom (Bette Midler) and uptight San Francisco WASP Hillary Essex (Barbara Hershey). The two meet as children in Atlantic City (played by Mayim Bialik and Marcie Leeds) and are reunited in the 1960s, when CC is a struggling singer and Hillary is trying to break free from her staid upbringing by becoming an activist. The two ladies room together, then fall out when both are
Dec 21, 1988 Wide
Mar 29, 2005
Watch It Now
Hillary Whitney Essex
Dr. Richard Milstein
C.C. Age 11
Hillary Age 11
Tavern on the Green Mai...
Frank the Doorman
Michael Bryan French
Man in Bagels
Phillipe De Brassiere
I.C.U. Nurse #2
Delivery Room Nurse #1
Tavern on the Green Pat...
Hollywood Bowl Backup S...
Keith Henry McDaniel
Delivery Room Nurse #2
Dept. Store Clerk
Pink Palm Bartender
Hollywood Bowl Stage Ma...
Seedy Bar Patron
Hollywood Bowl Backup S...
Car Rental Agent
The film's oily overdefinition of various class and cultural categories is strident enough to betray a condescending attitude toward the audience.
Maudlin & weepy with tender performances by Midler and Hershey.
...it seems obvious that certain audiences will get a whole lot more out of it than others.
If director Garry Marshall's intent was to up the Kleenex-count rather than the body count, he succeeded.
...a CD album of the songs might be as entertaining as the movie, and it would cost a lot less. (Special Edition DVD)
- CC Bloom: Hilary you got so fat!
- Hillary Whitney Essex: I'm not fat I'm having a baby.
- CC Bloom: You're not. You're having a baby?
- Hillary Whitney Essex: I'm three months pregnant.
- CC Bloom: That's great.
- Hillary Whitney Essex: Before I caught him with that woman we made love and that's when it ...
- CC Bloom: (interrupts) What woman?
- Hillary Whitney Essex: There was this woman I caught them together ...
- CC Bloom: (interrupts) Michael?
- Hillary Whitney Essex: Of course Michael and that's when it happened, and he doesn't want it because he's going to marry her. Can you believe it he's going to marry her?
- CC Bloom: (to bartender) Would you make this a double please?
- CC Bloom: (to Hillary) Let me get this straight. You caught Michael with another woman?
- Hillary Whitney Essex: Yes.
- CC Bloom: And now you're going to have a baby all on your own
- Hillary Whitney Essex: Mmhmm (shakes head)
- CC Bloom: Oh Hillary I think that's wonderful
- Hillary Whitney Essex: You do?
- CC Bloom: I think it's the most exciting thing and if it's a girl will you name it after me? (hugs Hillary)
- Hillary Whitney Essex: (quietly) Yes.
- Hillary Age 11: Be sure to keep in touch C.C. okay?
- C.C. Age 11: Well, sure we're friends aren't we?
There are no discussion threads for Beaches yet.
Latest News on Beaches
February 13, 2012:Jennifer Aniston Says Miss You Already
She picks up a leading role in the Paul Andrew Williams dramedy, which is already being compared to...
August 10, 2011:In Praise of Cinematic Female Friendship
A look at some of Hollywood's best-written (and most powerfully acted) bonds of sisterhood.