Before Sunrise (1995)
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 38
Fresh: 38 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 9.2/10
Critic Reviews: 6
Fresh: 6 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.1/5
User Ratings: 64,674
Richard Linklater's third feature -- set, like his other works, over the course of one 24-hour period -- Before Sunrise is a sweet, intelligent romantic comedy filmed primarily in Austria. It stars Ethan Hawke as Jesse, a young American travelling through Europe. On a train he meets Celine, a French student portrayed by Julie Delpy. Together they leave the train to begin exploring the city of Vienna, walking and talking into the wee hours of the night and slowly falling in love as the minutes
Jan 27, 1995 Wide
Nov 30, 1999
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Man at Grill
Book Store Manager
Wife on Train
Peter Ily Huemer
Husband on Train
Haymon Maria Buttinger
Louise Lemoine Torres
Linklater captures romance at the sunset of gadget-free existence ... holy moments when no gadget or lens comes between us and our immediate company and surroundings.
The combination of optimism, tragedy, and the fuzzy warmth of new love is absolutely flawless.
This realistic romance is intelligent, open-hearted and hopeful; the best work of, for and by youth.
the film asks us to consider the very nature and purpose of our existence in a fragmentary, superficial and transient universe.
Linklater hasn't just crafted a detached portrait of a unique couple: he's painting a masterful examination of human nature, of that relationship we all want, but too often sadly see slip away.
A thought-provoking, likable, entertaining, beautiful, and well-acted piece of romance...
Acting tour de force that feels exceptionally real
Hawke and Delpy keep the tone not only afloat but mesmerizing. So natural are their performances that it seems impossible not to believe they truly are soulmates who are locked in a doomed, all-too-short affair.
Inspired by Godard's lyrical film-essays, Linklater revisits his unreleased debut (also set on a train), while paying tribute to Rohmer's cerebral moral fables. Though narrower in scope, this film is more mature and generous than previous efforts.
É como testemunhar duas pessoas se apaixonando uma pela outra em tempo real: algo simultaneamente mágico, comovente e de partir o coração.
Audience Reviews for Before Sunrise
- Celine: If there's any kind of magic in this world it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt.
- Jesse: Why is it, that a dog, sleeping in the sun, is so beautiful, y'know, it is, it's beautiful, but a guy, standing at a bank machine, trying to take some money out, looks like a complete moron?
- Celine: Each time I wear black, or like, lose my temper, or say anything about anything, you know, they always go, 'Oh it's so French. It's so cute.' Ugh! I hate that!
- Celine: I always feel this pressure of being a strong and independent icon of womanhood, and without making it look my whole life is revolving around some guy. But loving someone, and being loved means so much to me. We always make fun of it and stuff. But isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?
- Celine: Even though I reject most of the religious things I can't help but feeling for all those people that come here lost or in pain, guilt, looking for some kind of answers. It fascinates me how a single place can join so much pain and happiness for so many generations.
- Jesse: Everybody's parents fucked them up. Rich kids parents gave them too much. Poor kids, not enough. You know, too much attention, not enough attention. They either left them or they stuck around and taught them the wrong things.
There are no discussion threads for Before Sunrise yet.
Latest News on Before Sunrise
June 15, 2012:Another Before Sunrise Sequel Shooting This Summer
That's the scoop from Ethan Hawke, who says he's "sworn to secrecy" regarding further details.
November 21, 2011:Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy Want Another Before Sunrise Movie
Hawke says "we're going to try and write it this year."
March 4, 2011:Five Favorite Films with Malin Akerman, Kate Mara and Josh Radnor
It's a three-in-one Five Favorite Film fest today, as we sat down with the stars and writer-director...