Average Rating: 7.3/10
Reviews Counted: 25
Fresh: 22 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 10,188
Director Mike Nichols and writer-actor Buck Henry followed their enormous hit The Graduate (1967) with this timely adaptation of Joseph Heller's satiric antiwar novel. Haunted by the death of a young gunner, all-too-sane Capt. Yossarian (Alan Arkin) wants out of the rest of his WW II bombing missions, but publicity-obsessed commander Colonel Cathcart (Martin Balsam) and his yes man, Colonel Korn (Henry), keep raising the number of missions that Yossarian and his comrades are required to fly.
Jun 24, 1970 Wide
May 22, 2001
Paramount Home Video
Watch It Now
Man in Black
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Though the vertiginously absurdist logic of the book is hopelessly fractured, some of it does filter through (the mostly superb performances are a great help).
Nichols has done the same thing in "Catch-22" that he did in "The Graduate." He's given us a funny beginning, then switched tones and gone serious.
If you liked M*A*S*H, You'll love this!
Released during the Vietnam War, the movie was a commercial failure, but seen from today's perspective, its black humor holds up well.
Starts out pretty funny, gets incredibly weird by the end.
Flawed, but frequently brilliant.
A mess, occasionally a fascinating one.
Can't capture the brilliance of the source material ... but does a pretty good job all the same.
Ambitious though flawed adaptation of Joseph Heller's searingly satiric novel.
...the movie version that some people said couldn't be made. Well, in all candor, some people were right...You know, there's always a catch.
a brilliant failure, a film that is as interesting for what it tried to accomplish as it is for what it did
Audience Reviews for Catch-22
Movies Like Catch-22
- Nately: You talk like a madman.
- Old Man: But I live like a sane one. I was a Fascist when Mussolini was on top. Now that he has been deposed, I am anti-Fascist. When the Germans were here, I was fanatically pro-German. Now I'm fanatically pro-America! You'll find no more loyal partisan in all of Italy than myself.
- Nately's Girl: When we go to America, Nately?
- Old Man: You will take her to America? Away from a healthy, active life? Away from good business opportunities? Away from her friends?
- Nately: Don't you have any principles?
- Old Man: Of course not.
- Nately: No morality?
- Old Man: I'm a very moral man. And Italy is a very moral country. That's why we will certainly come out on top again if we succeed in being defeated.
- Nately: What are you talking about? America's not going to be destroyed.
- Old Man: Never?
- Nately: Well...
- Old Man: Rome was destroyed. Greece was destroyed. Persia was destroyed. Spain was destroyed. All great countries are destroyed. Why not yours?How much longer do you think your country will last? Forever?
- Nately: Forever is a long time, I guess.
- Old Man: Very long.
- Old Man: You all crazy!
- Nately: Why are we crazy?
- Old Man: Because you don't know how to stay alive, and that's the secret of life.
- Capt. Yossarian: If he raises the number of missions again, I swear to God, I'll help you kill him.
- Dobbs: Really?
- Capt. Yossarian: I swear.
- Dobbs: Well, that's very reasonable of you.
- Major Major: Sergeant, from now on, I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm in my office. Is that clear?
- Sgt. Towser: Yes, sir. What do I say to people who want to come in and see you while you're in your office?
- Major Major: Tell them I'm in and ask them to wait.
- Sgt. Towser: For how long?
- Major Major: Until I've left.
- Sgt. Towser: And then what do I do with them?
- Major Major: I don't care.
Discuss Catch-22 on our Movie forum!