Dirty Dancing (1987)
Average Rating: 6/10
Reviews Counted: 54
Fresh: 39 | Rotten: 15
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 6.4/10
Critic Reviews: 12
Fresh: 10 | Rotten: 2
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 1,050,492
A teenage girl learns about love, adult responsibility, and how to do The Dirty Boogie in this romantic drama. In 1963, "Baby" Houseman (Jennifer Grey) is a 17-year-old spending the summer with her family at a resort hotel in the Catskills; she plans on being in the Peace Corps next summer, so this is expected to be her last summer as a carefree adolescent. Baby doesn't get along with her older sister, Lisa (Jane Brucker), and she's bored to tears by most of the older guests at the resort.
Aug 21, 1987 Wide
Aug 19, 1997
Watch It Now
Frances "Baby" House...
Dr. Jake Houseman
Charles "Honi" Coles
Heather Lea Gerdes
Bruce "Cousin Brucie...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The dancing here brings out the sensual dreaminess of the songs. Dirty Dancing -- what a great title! -- is such a bubbleheaded, retro vision of growing up in the sixties (or any other time) that you go out of the theatre giggling happily.
If the ending of Eleanor Bergstein's script is too neat and inspirational, the rough energy of the film's song and dance does carry one along, past the whispered doubts of better judgment.
Although the plot is sometimes implausible, the movie's music, dancing and romantic spirit carry a lot of it. In addition, Dirty Dancing has the virtues of a female main character (a bit unusual in a coming-of-age movie) and an interesting setting.
This is a shapely film, considered and concise. And if its rhetorical slickness eventually covers up its emotional core, that slickness has a pleasure of its own.
While it's easy to be cynical about the whole affair, the film's sheer audacity is admirable, and Dirty Dancing knows what it aspires to.
There is some freshness in the film, much of it supplied by Jennifer Grey, who's appealing, thoughtful and just right as Baby. There's also some eloquence, although most of it is supplied by the wonderful vintage pop songs.
You are likely to leave Dirty Dancing feeling good about what happens to the characters and longing to dance as they do.
This '80s classic transcends cynicism to give warm-fuzzies the world over.
Bits of good acting aren't enough to overcome the bogus elements at the center of the story, though, or the overcooked melodrama that grows from them.
An animated rendering of its characters is virtually the only thing preventing the formulaic Dirty Dancing from being another one of Disney's crappy romances.
Audience Reviews for Dirty Dancing
Movies Like Dirty Dancing
- Dr. Jake Houseman: I won't tell your mother about this. Right now, I'm goin' to bed. And take that stuff off your face before your mother sees you.
- Lisa Houseman: I've been thinkin' about the Domino Effect. Now, if Vietnam falls, what does that mean China's next?
- Penny Johnson: Johnny, what are you doin'?
- Johnny Castle: Don't worry about Max, I'll tell him your grandmother died or somethin'.
- Penny Johnson: How many times have you told me never get mixed up with them?
- Johnny Castle: I know what I'm doin', Penny.
- Penny Johnson: You listen to me, you gotta stop it, now!
- Johnny Castle: Fight harder, huh? I don't see you fightin' so hard, Baby. I don't see you runnin' up to daddy tellin' him I'm your guy.
- Frances "Baby" Houseman: Oh, yes, as a matter of fact it is. We're supposed to do the show in two days, you won't show me the lifts, I'm not sure of the turns, I'm doin' all this to save your ass, what I really wanna do is drop you on it!
- Robbie Gould: I didn't blow a summer haulin' toasted bagels just to bail out some little chicks who probably balled every guy in the place.
Discuss Dirty Dancing on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Dirty Dancing
September 14, 2011:Now You Can Play Dirty Dancing: The Game on Facebook
"Everyone who has ever wanted to be a part of those magical times in the Catskills can now have the...
August 29, 2011:The Dirty Dancing Remake Has a Writer
And it's Maria Maggenti, most recently in theaters with "Monte Carlo."
August 12, 2011:Weekly Ketchup: Dirty Dancing Remake in the Works
The dog days of August continue for Hollywood, as this is another Weekly Ketchup where the Rotten...