Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
Average Rating: 6.6/10
Reviews Counted: 24
Fresh: 20 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 4
Fresh: 4 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 133,806
A woman learns the value of friendship as she hears the story of two women and how their friendship shaped their lives in this warm comedy-drama. Evelyn Couch (Kathy Bates) is an emotionally repressed housewife with a habit of drowning her sorrows in candy bars. Her husband Ed (Gailard Sartain) barely acknowledges her existence, and while he visits his aunt at a nursing home every week, Evelyn is not permitted to come into the room because the old women doesn't like her. One week, while waiting
Dec 27, 1991 Wide
Apr 18, 2000
Watch It Now
Mary Stuart Masterso...
Jo Harvey Allen
Women's Awareness Te...
Nancy Moore Atchison
Wingo Man at BBQ
Boy at Supermarket
Older Naughty Bird
Young Naughty Bird
La Tanya Richardson
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
After all, it's not every day that one encounters a sensitive tale of sisterhood that also contains an element of cannibalism. For that alone, the movie deserves respect.
An enjoyable if sentimental chic flick that sanitizes Flagg's novel in two major respects, glossing over the lesbian relationship between Mary Louise Parker and Mary Stuart Masterson and underplaying the blatant racism in the trail of a black man.
There's just enough human feeling here to make it transcend the feel--good chick-flick genre.
A wonderful cinematic valentine to the life-enhancing and soul-stirring powers of friendship.
Bates and Tandy shine in what is essentially an extended flashback with the occasional present day bookends.
Audience Reviews for Fried Green Tomatoes
Movies Like Fried Green Tomatoes
- Evelyn Couch: I can't even look at my own vagina!
- Ninny Threadgoode: Well, I can't help you on that one, honey.
- Idgie Threadgoode: I can't believe that he swore on the Bible!
- Ruth Jamison: Well, if that judge had looked any closer, he'd have seen that it was a copy of Moby Dick.
- Ruth Jamison: Idgie Threadgoode, you old beecharmer, you.
- Ruth Jamison: You're just a bee charmer, Idgie Threadgoode. That's what you are, a bee charmer.
- Grady Kilgore: You are absolutely, unconditionally, positively the most stubborn person I've ever known in my life!
- Ninny Threadgoode: Idgie and her friend Ruth ran the Whistle Stop Café. Idgie was a character, all right. But how anybody could have thought she murdered that man is beyond me.
- Evelyn Couch: I beg your pardon?
Discuss Fried Green Tomatoes on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Fried Green Tomatoes
August 2, 2006:Trailer Bulletin: Al Pacino in "88 Minutes"
Al Pacino's latest is a fairly slick-looking thriller called "88 Minutes" that, for some...
March 9, 2006:Avnet Set to Visit "Second World"
Veteran filmmaker Jon Avnet has signed on to direct an action thriller called "Second...
July 19, 2005:Pacino to Hang Around for Precisely "88 Minutes"
Legendary actor Al Pacino ("Dog Day Afternoon") will team up with director Jon Avnet...