The Hunt for Red October (1990)
Average Rating: 7.8/10
Reviews Counted: 44
Fresh: 42 | Rotten: 2
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 6.6/10
Critic Reviews: 5
Fresh: 4 | Rotten: 1
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 169,898
The first of several films based on Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" technothrillers, Hunt for Red October stars Alec Baldwin as eccentric CIA analyst Ryan and Sean Connery as Soviet submarine commander Marko Ramius. Ramius sets the plot in motion when he murders his political adviser, burns his orders, and steers his sub Red October towards American waters, hoping to defect. The CIA, aware that the Red October was about to embark on an evasive mission to demonstrate its ability to avoid detection and
Mar 2, 1990 Wide
Dec 1, 1998
Watch It Now
Capt. Marko Ramius
Capt. Bart Mancuso
James Earl Jones
Admiral James Greer
Capt. Vasily Borodin
Courtney B. Vance
Fred Dalton Thompson
Michael George Benko
George H. Billy
Admirals at Briefing
Denise E. James
John McTiernan Sr.
General at Briefing
Sven Ole Thorsen
Lt. Comdr. Thompson
Lt. Jim Curry
Jodge Moore at Brief...
Don Oscar Smith
William Bell Sulliva...
Lt. Cmdr. Mike Hewit...
Chief of the Boat
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
A Reagan youth's wet dream of underwater ballistics and East-West conflict.
The first Jack Ryan thriller adventure is a supremely mounted film, well acted by Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery, and vastly enjoyable.
It is a thriller in some sequences, action in others, but it depends on personal taste, how many thrills you believe a movie should have in order to be considered a thriller
As for the film's suspense credentials, you know it's time to get tense when James Earl Jones intones, 'Mother of God.' [Blu-Ray]
The Soviet captain has a brogue. I'm okay with it. Sue me.
For all its flaws, it still holds water.
Regressive old-fashioned thriller of a sort that mostly died out 20 years earlier.
Solid if somewhat staid adaptation of the Clancy book.
Politics aside, however, The Hunt for Red October is a thrilling edge-of-your-seat trifle that has admirably withstood the test of time.
A superbly crafted cold war thriller, with excellent performances, cinematography and tension.
If any film in Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series stands out as the best (or even a truly great movie), it's The Hunt for Red October.
A crackerjack Hollywood thriller that makes most other attempts look pathetic.
Competently made submarine action film, one of the better Clancy adaptations.
Great Tom Clancy adaptation
At last, a thriller that assumes its audience is smart (nice "Russian" accent on Connery, heh).
The swan song for Cold War movies: a final, gripping trip against those pesky Russkies with first rate results.
Connery, Baldwin, a Tom Clancy novel; great fun.
McTiernan does a great job with this submarine thriller. Also features a stellar ensemble of character actors.
Audience Reviews for The Hunt for Red October
Movies Like The Hunt for Red October
- Jack Ryan: Send him this.
- Capt. Bart Mancuso: Are you out of your mind?
- Jack Ryan: Just send it.
- Capt. Bart Mancuso: tell me one thing how did you know he was going to Starboard?
- Jack Ryan: I didn't. I had a 55/50 chance. I needed a break, sorry.
- Capt. Bart Mancuso: That's alright. Mr. Ryan My Morse is so rusty I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
- Capt. Marko Ramius: Ryan some things in here don't react well to bullets.
- Capt. Bart Mancuso: Are you out of your mind Ryan?
- Jack Ryan: Just send it.
- Capt. Bart Mancuso: My Morse is so rusty I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
- Capt. Bart Mancuso: The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch.
- Jeffrey Pelt: Listen, I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops, but it also means that I keep my options open.
- Bill Steiner: Your sub captain's going to make to America Mr. Ryan. And he's going to die within sight of it.
Discuss The Hunt for Red October on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Hunt for Red October
August 21, 2012:Kevin Costner in Talks for Multiple Jack Ryan Movies
He's close to becoming the Nick Fury of the Jack Ryan movie universe.
March 14, 2011:Alec Baldwin Explains What Happened After The Hunt for Red October
Still wondering why Alec Baldwin never played Jack Ryan again after "The Hunt for Red October"? He's...
March 20, 2008:Sam Raimi, Meet Jack Ryan
It looks like Paramount really is planning a Jack Ryan revival -- and they're looking to Sam Raimi...