Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964)
Average Rating: 7.4/10
Reviews Counted: 20
Fresh: 17 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Dec 15, 1964 Wide
Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 7,898
An unusually long pre-credits sequence establishes the roots of faded Southern belle Charlotte's (Bette Davis) insanity; she'd been witness to the dismemberment murder of her fiance (Bruce Dern) and the suicide of the murderer, her own father (Victor Buono). Years later, Charlotte remains a recluse in her decaying southern mansion, zealously guarding the secret of her father's guilt; she is cared for by her slatternly housekeeper (Agnes Moorehead). When her house is targeted for demolition,
Dec 15, 1964 Wide
Aug 9, 2005
Watch It Now
Olivia de Havilland
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
This well executed and well acted Gothic horror is Aldrich's follow-up to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? which also starred Bette Davis.
Bette Davis in her late, creepy mode...and still effective.
Davis' near-crazed performance being over-the-top but satisfying in a campy way.
Director Aldrich's work on Baby Jane was already a study in hysteria, and his style for Charlotte is, if anything, even more ornate.
This film is bonkers ... heady Southern Gothic decadence, histrionics from just about everyone involved, and severed body parts that pop up at the most inopportune times.
Smothered in Spanish moss, creakily derivative of Baby Jane, this one proves you can't borrow from the same well twice.
First-rate souther gothic thriller. Much better than the overrated BABY JANE
Audience Reviews for Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
- Velma: So you're finally showin' the right side of your face. Well, I seen it all along. That's some kinda drug you been givin' her. Isn't it? It's what's been making her act like she's been. Well, Ah'm goin' into town and Ah'm tellin them what you been up to.
- Charlotte Hollis: Get out, Luke Standish! You smirkin' Judas!
- Miriam: You just can't keep hogs away from the trough, can you?
- Miriam: Why wouldn't I tell him that his pure, darling little girl was having a dirty little affair with a married man?
- Charlotte Hollis: You're a vile, sorry little bitch!
Discuss Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte on our Movie forum!