Kelly's Heroes (1970)
Average Rating: 6.9/10
Reviews Counted: 20
Fresh: 16 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 2
Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 30,613
Like M*A*S*H and Catch-22, both released the same year, this military comedy takes place in an earlier war but is really a thinly disguised treatise on the modern-day insanity and avariciousness then unfolding in Vietnam. Clint Eastwood stars as Kelly, a former lieutenant whose illusions about the glory of war, if he has any, are lost when he is busted in rank for following some poorly considered orders in World War II France. After capturing a friendly German officer, Kelly learns the
Jun 23, 1970 Wide
Aug 1, 2000
Watch It Now
Harry Dean Stanton
Hugo de Vernier
Boyd 'Red' Morgan
Karl Otto Alberty
German Tank Commande...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
An attempt to blend the war epic and the caper film that doesn't quite come off.
Nearly satirical in its overall effect, plot caroms between cliche dogface antics, detailed and gratuitous violence, caper melodramatics, and outrageous anachronism.
Interesting only in so far as it reveals Eastwood's nonchalant attitude to the blockbuster.
The action is flashy and intermittent, deliberately wallowing in a mire of revisionist grot, churned up vistas of European mud. Time has made it more intuitive and caustic a film, than its daft reputation might suggest.
This humorous, lively, and entertaining picture could be described as a caper film set against a WW II backdrop.
...the filmmakers clearly intended the movie to be a carefree caper, and if one views it that way, it can pass an entertaining few hours.
A strange but mostly satisfying hybrid of WWII actioner and anti-war satire... [Blu-ray]
Much fun amongst WWII w/Eastwood, Savalas, Sutherland, and Rickles.
Isn't really about the Second World War, but rather about the senselessness of the Vietnam War . . .
Very entertaining war movie with just the right touch of Vietnam-era cynicism
Audience Reviews for Kelly's Heroes
- Crap Game: Ya make a DEAL!
- Big Joe: What kind of a deal?
- Crap Game: A DEAL DEAL.
- Oddball: But for 1.6 million dollars, we could become heroes for three days.
- Oddball: Why don't you say something rightous or hopeful for a change? [to Moriarity]
- Moriarty: Crap! [to Oddball]
- Big Joe: Well then, why the hell aren't you up there helping them? [fix the tank]
- Oddball: [answers] I only ride em I don't know what makes em work.
- Oddball: I'm grabbing some waves.
- Crap Game: [into field phone] Hogan? Yeah, it's me. Listen... I gotta favor to ask ya. Will you quit cryin... I haven't even asked ya yet! What the Hell's the matter with you?
- Big Joe: [shouting to the captured German Colonel] Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining. And the only good thing to say about the weather: it keeps our air corps from blowing us all to Hell because its too lousy to fly, versteh?
- Col. Dankhopf: [he understands] Ja, ja, versteh.
- Big Joe: Okay.
- Big Joe: [shouting in the radio] Look, Mulligan! I don't think I'm getting through to you! You're dropping your damn barrage on our position! The reason you can't hear me is because you're firing your mortars at your end, and they're dropping here, on our end! No, the Krauts are not here! We're here! Mulligan, your bombs are coming down on our head! I don't know where the Krauts are! Just lift your goddamn barrage! Over!
Discuss Kelly's Heroes on our Movie forum!