The Last Starfighter (1984)
Average Rating: 6.2/10
Reviews Counted: 28
Fresh: 21 | Rotten: 7
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 46,742
Trailer-park teenager Lance Guest regularly escapes from his humdrum existence by playing the video game Starfighter. His expertise at this recreational endeavor attracts the attention of affable stranger Robert Preston. Before he knows what's happening, Guest is whisked by Preston into the outer reaches of the galaxy! It turns out that the Starfighter game is being played in deadly earnest in outer space, and that Guest is expected to join Preston's Star League, then do battle with the wicked
Jul 13, 1984 Wide
Jun 8, 1999
Watch It Now
Catherine Mary Stewa...
Kay E. Kuter
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Great fun, with some truly comical moments; a must for pulp-heads and video-junkies.
full of 80s cheese, but for someone like me who grew up with this kind of stuff, it was the perfect escape
One of the few successful Spielberg clones, administering the usual routine of aliens and mouth-agape wonder with friendly determination and a perfect, just perfect, game boy screenwriting hook.
The simplistic plot and simple story work thanks to the energy and light touch of director Nick Castle.
Charmingly hokey...takes the suburban-working-class-folks-meet-space-aliens paradigm of early Spielberg and marries it to Lucas' Star Wars. [Blu-ray]
the rousing kind of kid flick that inspires ten-year-old boys to grab broomsticks, storm the neighborhood hill, and go nuts on pretend aliens with ridiculous faux karate moves.
Definite "Star Wars" influenced, this trailer park adventure takes off, succeeds on own.
Overlooked sci-fi tale. Great fun.
If you're going to shamelessly rip off Star Wars, make sure you do it with as much spirit as this film.
A cult classic long overdue its proper respect!
A children's movie. Good visuals...plot no so good.
It's not an award-winner or cult classic, but The Last Starfighter is certainly one of the coolest "cable flicks" you're likely to come across.
Audience Reviews for The Last Starfighter
- Lord Kril: Forget the guns. Ramming speed!
- Alex Rogan: Hold it! There's no fleet? No Starfighters, no plan? One ship, you, me, and that's it?
- Grig: Exactly! Xur thinks you're still on Earth. Classic military strategy, surprise attack.
- Alex Rogan: It'll be a slaughter!
- Grig: That's the spirit!
- Alex Rogan: No, *my* slaughter!
- Alex Rogan: [to an alien] Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your, uh, whatever that is.
- Grig: Up to your old 'Excalibur' tricks again, eh, Centauri?
- Alex Rogan: Teriffic. I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax.
- Centauri: [voice in video game] Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.
Discuss The Last Starfighter on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Last Starfighter
August 17, 2009:RT on DVD: From Hannah Montana's Hoedown to Last House on the Left
This week, get your Miley Cyrus fix with Hannah Montana's feature-length trip to the big screen...
March 12, 2009:Craig Safan Confirms Last Starfighter Sequel
Remember "The Last Starfighter"? So does composer Craig Safan -- and in a new interview, he's...
May 17, 2006:Bruckheimer Buys Some New "Game Boys"
Jerry Bruckheimer will produce "Game Boys" for Disney, a high-concept action comedy about...