Lean on Me (1989)
Average Rating: 5.8/10
Reviews Counted: 16
Fresh: 11 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 40,933
After earning rave notices for powerful supporting turns as a pimp in Street Smart (1987) and an alcohol abuse counselor in Clean and Sober (1988), actor Morgan Freeman began his ascent to stardom with this, his first lead role in a major motion picture. Freeman is real-life high school principal Joe Clark, a tough, harsh educator and administrator who in 1987 is given a nearly impossible task by his old friend, school superintendent Dr. Frank Napier (Robert Guillaume). Clark is asked to reform
Mar 3, 1989 Wide
Oct 20, 1998
Warner Home Video
Watch It Now
Dr. Frank Napier
Karen Malina White
Mayor Don Bottman
Michael P. Moran
Fire Chief Gaines
Teacher in Cafeteria
Heather Rose Dominic
Burger Joint Manager
Latest News on Lean on Me
November 2, 2005:Trailer Bulletin: Take the Lead
Want to see a movie about a dedicated teacher who, after much struggle and drama, manages to...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Avildsen's enthusiastic direction gives Lean on Me a heartwarming, feel-good tone that is accessible beyond the environs of its subject.
Is a baseball bat the best way to organize a school? In the movie, sure. In real life, maybe not.
Freeman, as usual, infuses a standard-issue plot with extraordinary emotional conviction.
Watchable but formulaic tough-love-teacher movie, made perhaps before Morgan Freeman could get himself better roles.
calculated to get you cheering -- and it does
Audience Reviews for Lean on Me
Movies Like Lean on Me
- Joe Clark: You used to call me Crazy Joe. Well now they you can call me Batman.
- Joe Clark: We sink, we swim, we rise, we fall. We meet our fate together.
- Joe Clark: This is an institution of learning, ladies and gentlemen. If you can't control it, how can you teach? Discipline is not the enemy of enthusiasm!
- Joe Clark: Discipline is not the enemy of enthusiasm.
- Joe Clark: I don't have to do nothin' but stay black and die!
- Joe Clark: You'll be dead in a year son. You hear me? You'll be dead in a year.
Discuss Lean on Me on our Movie forum!